real time web analytics
Report - - Hovis Solent Mills, Southampton - March 2019 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hovis Solent Mills, Southampton - March 2019

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Brewtal

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Visited with prettyvacant71 the night before the Birmingham meet. I was first made aware of it's closure by @xexxa and completely forgot about it. I was really happy to hear from PV saying her, @jsp77 and @Terminal Decline had got inside. PV is the queen of revisits so we decided to go together when I was down south anyway. Well worth the 500+ mile drive! Despite being totally fucked after the journey down, this place was an absolute joy to shoot.

Some brief history:

The mills, completed in October 1934, heralded the beginning of a new commercial life for Southampton Docks. It was the first building constructed on 200 acres of reclaimed land, set aside by Southampton Railways for industrial development that was to establish Southampton as a major centre of industry and commerce.

The construction of the mill was very much due to the drive and business acumen of Joseph Rank – the founder of Rank Hovis McDougall. In the early 1930s he proposed building a mill at Southampton, which was met with short shrift by his co-directors who did not think it necessary. Unperturbed he defiantly said to his colleagues “Very Well, I’ll do it on my own” and, losing no time, he secured a site on the Southern Railway New Docks estate and set about building the most modern flour mill in the country.

Didn't take any externals, so a roof shot is better than nothing!
duCP9uzh.jpg

fycnKiYh.jpg

rfG3dnnh.jpg

IYHSPFGh.jpg

ixYKIuSh.jpg

HRzHvDOh.jpg

wgsboWsh.jpg

eXhL0U7h.jpg

4uux7yvh.jpg

C4Fh7ZGh.jpg

DHLt4Vfh.jpg

sUiHNr3h.jpg

Qcfhl5rh.jpg

Alh5zxWh.jpg

p0B7Dnzh.jpg

guaFwywh.jpg

X53F07Bh.jpg

K6UHnL8h.jpg

EAWMphVh.jpg

uI6x3SPh.jpg

6LFHKCWh.jpg

xjl6zI9h.jpg

oBdPXrjh.jpg

wBxzXTUh.jpg

9nI4XFJh.jpg

CHlz6Xwh.jpg

5X3zWuUh.jpg

d661Otvh.jpg

aPszzhzh.jpg

vPr7PVFh.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Grom

Camera Drowner
Regular User
Wow this is really really nice. It's clean and its got some great industrial stuff, really the Best of Both :p

Flour miller

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I work in this building for over 25 years until it closed in February 2019. The pictures you see are of 3 different mills.
E mill built around 1989
F mill built around 1991/2
G mill 2004
For me this has been the best place I have ever work.

Landie_Man

"Landie" or Harry
Regular User
I work in this building for over 25 years until it closed in February 2019. The pictures you see are of 3 different mills.
E mill built around 1989
F mill built around 1991/2
G mill 2004
For me this has been the best place I have ever work.

Amazing story. G mill didn't last long then? I
Wanted to go here but totally forgot about it!