real time web analytics
Report - - Hydro turbine - Wensleydale - January 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hydro turbine - Wensleydale - January 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

tigger

mog
Regular User
Towards the end of a 20 mile walk in the rain, dropping back down into the valley a nice reward.

Small scale hydro-electric plants are not new. For the wealthy or people who liked their toys they were a must have during the late 1800s. By 1900 they were much more common and wealthy landowners would often provide some limited electricity for rural villages via a turbine in a mill....a couple of light bulbs per house and maybe a half dozen street lights. Small businesses also realised water was like having free (Nestle hadn't bought it all yet) power.

1.jpg

This vortex turbine was made in 1902 by Gilbert Gilkes & Co. It wasn't here however and I don't know who it was first sold to.

1a.jpg

Jump forward to 1936 and a local garage owner with a decent waterfall 300 yards away wanted electricity in his workshop (and house in the evening) so he bought a secondhand turbine and dynamo to provide it (mains electricity wouldn't reach the area for another 25 years). Once mains arrived the majority of these small systems rapidly went out of use. People were 'encouraged' to adopt mains electricity and standards. Sometimes the relatively new equipment in mills and by streams was recovered for scrap but a lot was just left behind. Later the copper fairies descended.
The larger 'local' systems in mills and factories lasted a bit longer but when abstraction charges were introduced in the mid 1960s their fate was sealed too.

2.jpg

No record of the dynano manufactuer and all trace of it has gone.

Water was taken from above the waterfall via an earthenware pipe which is now broken.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Lord Kelvin'e brother, Professor Thomson at Belfast University patented the vortex turbine and made it much more efficient by utilising variable guide vanes. Williamson Brothers in Kendal purchased non-exclusve rights to produce these and had supplied around 400 turbines (not all were Thomson Vortex type) between 1856 and 1881 when they sold their business to Gilbert Gilkes. Gilkes (pronounced 'Jilks') are still a private limited company and headquarterd at the Kendal site.

12.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

23.jpg

Last edited:

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Lovely report. 20 miles :eek: Id be hurting for weeks. Lovely images and great narration. The water look cold and fast flowing. Free electric sounds appealing today lol

tigger

mog
Regular User
Whilst it won't matter to most people it did to me so a bit more history:

Originally supplied to Colonel Balfour who sold it on in 1924 to J Dunlop & Co.. Bought from them in the 1930s by T Grubb, a dealer in secondhand machinery in Lancaster. They sold it to the garage (along with another one that I might post at some point).

WoodenFossil

28DL Member
28DL Member
Whilst it won't matter to most people it did to me so a bit more history:

Originally supplied to Colonel Balfour who sold it on in 1924 to J Dunlop & Co.. Bought from them in the 1930s by T Grubb, a dealer in secondhand machinery in Lancaster. They sold it to the garage (along with another one that I might post at some point).
Hi Tigger. Well, I'm interested in the installation. Chances are, my father's work colleague installed and maintained this turbine. On the alternator, probably a DC Brook-Crompton or Brush, charging large, glass lead-acid accumulator cells for the guarantee of continuous building supplies.
My father was Bill Clarkson's apprentice at T. Grubbs from 1949-55 (after which my father did National Service [RAF Electrical Engineering]) before returning to T Grubbs to continue as an electrical engineer. Bill was primarily involved in water-turbine generator system installation and maintenance.
Grubbs main work was engineering, so complete turbine system installation was 'bread and butter'. I am aware of one other turbine of this type that is still in use, as I worked with my father to replace the original alternator with a modern, lighter and more powerful unit back in the mid-late 90s.
My father was very interested in your discovery! Really nice photos!

tigger

mog
Regular User
Hi Tigger. Well, I'm interested in the installation. Chances are, my father's work colleague installed and maintained this turbine. On the alternator, probably a DC Brook-Crompton or Brush, charging large, glass lead-acid accumulator cells for the guarantee of continuous building supplies.
My father was Bill Clarkson's apprentice at T. Grubbs from 1949-55 (after which my father did National Service [RAF Electrical Engineering]) before returning to T Grubbs to continue as an electrical engineer. Bill was primarily involved in water-turbine generator system installation and maintenance.
Grubbs main work was engineering, so complete turbine system installation was 'bread and butter'. I am aware of one other turbine of this type that is still in use, as I worked with my father to replace the original alternator with a modern, lighter and more powerful unit back in the mid-late 90s.
My father was very interested in your discovery! Really nice photos!

Thanks very much for taking the time to post the reply and potential extra information. There are several old Gilkes 'Thomson' Vortex units still in use in the UK and abroad. Several more which 'could' be used.

Who has read this thread (Total: 199) View details