real time web analytics
Report - - IceHouse Grendon April 2019. | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - IceHouse Grendon April 2019.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

chris9140

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
One of the best preserved IceHouses in Warwickshire. I found this After researching my Areas Local History If you do find and enter it be aware That it has been a dump for old asbestos and please wear a Mask. I suppose i should have reporterd it to My local authority but if i did they may Block it up . I believe its also a Grade 2 Listed building but i'me not sure. If any one knows please let me Know.

DSCF0520.JPG

DSCF0522.JPG

DSCF0527.JPG

DSCF0536.JPG

DSCF0539.JPG

Last edited:

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
Nice find and report, good to see it's still intact at least.

I believe its also a Grade 2 Listed building but i'me not sure. If any one knows please let me Know.

Not listed though, sorry. I guess it's not particularly unusual, I've seen several very similar. It was built (probably around 1800 ish) to store ice for Grendon Manor, and that was demolished in 1933 I believe.

Last edited:

chris9140

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yes it was knocked down in 1933. The story i was told was because one of the last chetwynds ran of and married a gambling man. Who blew there fortune on horses and cards. i think it was sort of repossessed. The Family was apparently in government one of the chetwynds i believe was high sheriff of staffordshire. The chetwynd that married the gambling man was apparently betrothed/Engaged to someone else causing a great Scandel in Late victorian /Early Edwardian times. Can you imagine.

Last edited:

westernsultan

Banned
Banned
There is a grade 1 listed park / garden at Castle Ashby in Northamptonshire. It has an icehouse which is grade II and the parish is listed as Grendon - I think that is where the confusion comes from https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1000385
The 500m long, triangular Park Pond is retained by a massive, 15m high earth dam at its north end (set in the east end of which is an icehouse of 1761, listed grade II), beyond which is the irregularly shaped, 250m long Menagerie Pond. Some 150m north-west of the north end of Menagerie Pond is the small Jew's Harp Pond.

chris9140

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There is a grade 1 listed park / garden at Castle Ashby in Northamptonshire. It has an icehouse which is grade II and the parish is listed as Grendon - I think that is where the confusion comes from https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1000385
The 500m long, triangular Park Pond is retained by a massive, 15m high earth dam at its north end (set in the east end of which is an icehouse of 1761, listed grade II), beyond which is the irregularly shaped, 250m long Menagerie Pond. Some 150m north-west of the north end of Menagerie Pond is the small Jew's Harp Pond.
Thanks for your info two different parishes same name You are proberly right

Ciczlow

28DL Member
28DL Member
oh wow I didn't know about this one in grendon? but have visited the baxterley ones a few times.

chris9140

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
oh wow I didn't know about this one in grendon? but have visited the baxterley ones a few times.
The one in grendon is no where near as good as the one at baxterly Arhitecture wise. But its in great shape and gives you something to think about when you compare the two.

Who has read this thread (Total: 175) View details