real time web analytics
Question - - Im looking for advice plz. | Photography and Video Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Question - Im looking for advice plz.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TimeBandit

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Ive been on afew explores now but im no camera buff. Im looking for advice on the right camera to get for around £100-£200.
A friend tried explaining iso settings to me but photography is not my strong suit. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I'd get used to getting good angles etc on your phone first, learn what to capture at abandoned places (focusing on things like decay etc). I find that if you enjoy it a lot you tend to 'outgrow' your phone camera and decide you want something better. Settings are fairly easy to get the hang of once you know what each of them mean. ISO, Shutter Speed and Aperture are the main ones. A lot of cameras also have Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority settings which are semi-manual modes that are good for beginners, I used to use those settings alot when starting out with my DSLR years ago. Aperture priority, for example, will allow you to set the ISO and Aperture then it will set the shutter speed automatically based on the subject and lighting. There's plenty of help content online for beginners such as YouTube videos and Articles.

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
Use a phone camera

Take decent pics…..by this I mean framing of shot

Then I’d invest in a compact …over the years I’ve found my dslr too cumbersome for exploring ,especially underground

TimeBandit

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Use a phone camera

Take decent pics…..by this I mean framing of shot

Then I’d invest in a compact …over the years I’ve found my dslr too cumbersome for exploring ,especially underground
Out of intrest is your dslr cannon?

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
If you want to learn photography (which you most certainly can) try and get hold of an entry level Nikon D*100 series or Canon EOS camera that's 10-5 years old which should be within your budget. Second hand on eBay will help the price. The quality will be reasonable and the main thing is it has all the features of a camera you can get to grips with to see if you eventually want to invest more.

Most people find DSLRs well suited to exploring and it's really the only way to take serious shots. Its only when you start lugging round a tripod several lenses etc it becomes quite cumbersome

OBLIVION urbex explores

OBLIVION urbex explores
28DL Full Member
Ive been on afew explores now but im no camera buff. Im looking for advice on the right camera to get for around £100-£200.
A friend tried explaining iso settings to me but photography is not my strong suit. Any advice will be greatly appreciated
Hi you dont need a fancy camera just use phone camera of if not a DJI POCKET or GO PRO CAMERA you can fiddle with effects on your photos on line

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
Most people find DSLRs well suited to exploring and it's really the only way to take serious shots. Its only when you start lugging round a tripod several lenses etc it becomes quite cumbersome

Sorry going to have to disagree
You don’t need a dslr to take serious shots.
It doesn’t matter if it’s cannon/Nikon/Olympus or whatever.

It’s about knowing how to set up your camera for the conditions and knowing how to frame a shot properly.

My dslr was over a grand brand new and now you can get them on eBay for £100-200,i agree that it’s a good option to buy a 2nd hand dslr if the OP is insistent on getting one but as you stated the extra lenses etc add to an already bulky item which all can be achieved by using a decent compact which these days have most of the features of a dslr

Compact is so much easier and quicker to use,less faff means more photos taken.
I used a dslr for 10years and have no plans to going back to it.

jST

LLS.
Regular User

Went exploring once last year, phone photos were miles better than my 5d3 DSLR due to the dynamic range the sensor can capture.

Wish I hadn't bothered lugging it around tbh

Wastelandr

Regular User
Sorry going to have to disagree
You don’t need a dslr to take serious shots.
It doesn’t matter if it’s cannon/Nikon/Olympus or whatever.

It’s about knowing how to set up your camera for the conditions and knowing how to frame a shot properly.

My dslr was over a grand brand new and now you can get them on eBay for £100-200,i agree that it’s a good option to buy a 2nd hand dslr if the OP is insistent on getting one but as you stated the extra lenses etc add to an already bulky item which all can be achieved by using a decent compact which these days have most of the features of a dslr

Compact is so much easier and quicker to use,less faff means more photos taken.
I used a dslr for 10years and have no plans to going back to it.
Don't get me wrong phone can still take good photos if it's reasonably good, framing is definitely important and ultimately you can take good pictures on anything but it's hard to have much control over a phone camera. Whilst you can change some settings it doesn't allow as much flexibility in the same way or learning of the settings. It really depends if you want to get into photography or just want to capture the explore. Most of the better pictures on here are still going to be taken with a DSLR but that doesn't mean a phone can't still do it.

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
Don't get me wrong phone can still take good photos if it's reasonably good, framing is definitely important and ultimately you can take good pictures on anything but it's hard to have much control over a phone camera. Whilst you can change some settings it doesn't allow as much flexibility in the same way or learning of the settings. It really depends if you want to get into photography or just want to capture the explore. Most of the better pictures on here are still going to be taken with a DSLR but that doesn't mean a phone can't still do it.

I didn’t mention phones…….compact camera

Something like this is fine for exploring

Has manual modes /timer/can shoot in raw/knock proof/waterproof

Fuk spending loads on body’s and lenses,like £500 on a wangle that I used only a few times then sat on the shelf for 3yrs,or the prime lens I dropped in the mud and ruined it.

Wastelandr

Regular User
I didn’t mention phones…….compact camera

Something like this is fine for exploring

Has manual modes /timer/can shoot in raw/knock proof/waterproof

Fuk spending loads on body’s and lenses,like £500 on a wangle that I used only a few times then sat on the shelf for 3yrs,or the prime lens I dropped in the mud and ruined it.

I've heard those Olympus compacts are decent but with the exception of this, affordable compacts are pretty dead nowdays as phones have more or less replaced them. Most of the new ones I see being made still cost many hundred quid. You can quite easily get a second hand dslr for the same price or cheaper but it's all dependent on what the OP wants to achieve and size

obscurity

Flaxenation of the G!!!
Regular User
My phone has full manual settings and the ability to shoot in RAW format. I can chuck out a 60s exposure with full control over iso and aperture. Definately no need to go get a dslr in this day and age. My weighty full frame dslr and glass come out less and less.

foxtrotoscar

28DL Member
28DL Member
Definitely get comfortable with your techniques, how you frame shots, using the available light where applicable, with your mobile phone camera. (assume you have a fairly decent one) From there you can go to the pre-owned market, perhaps a nice Olympus OMD mk ii, sub £200 is very do-able. Its a compact piece of kit, lots of nice features.