real time web analytics
Report - - In My Sights - July 2010. | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - In My Sights - July 2010.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
In My Sights

Ojay/Stepping Lightly

What we have here is essentially a sewer interceptor and a hooj concrete overflow tank about 120ft underground. Infact I have never seen anything as big!!

(APOLOGIES FOR THE PHOTOS - IT WAS SO MISTY & FULL OF POOP PARTICLES THAT IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO LIGHT UP FOR ANY DECENT PICCY's). :(

After lifting big liddage we quickly descended down the 25ft slippy ladder, with my 4 gas draped around S.L for extra protection.

Once down we found ourselves slippin' 'n' slidin' on a rather odd landing stage. No railings :eek: (SEEMS THE PIKEY's STRIKE AGAIN).

"Easy" says S.L (LOL), get this wrong and it's 80ft drop to sudden death!

Sup1.jpg

Looking across and down through the 'cut out slots' you could get a decent view of the tank, except it was so misty with poop particles that lighting up and getting any decent shots was near on impossible.

Also located here was The Penstock controls for the 2 Penstocks below (ALSO SEE BELOW).

Penstock.jpg

From here it was approx 80ft to the bottom, having climbed down another set of dodgy ladders covered in all manner of grime and toiletries we were now on another landing stage around 40ft from the bottom, this time with railings.

Here I managed to get a pic of the sewers looking below before heading down the final ladder to see what all the fuss was about.

Sdown1.jpg

Sdown2.jpg

Once down there was some serious flowage from the main trunk sewer through and under the concrete column,

Sswr1.jpg

ahead was another sewer intercepting through the 1500 RCP

SS1_stitch.jpg

The flow was controlled by 2 smaller penstocks, the 'closed' one allowing the flow to be diverted into the main overflow tank the other side of the column.

Pen1.jpg

Whilst at the top of the tank you could see the main trunk sewer flowing through the overflow section beyond the column we descended on, as well as a walkway around the perimeter and an inspection gantry suspended from above.

Altough over 80ft down this looked rather grim and as I understand Concrete Jungle didn't manage to make it down on his earlier visit.

The ladders were layered with 'fresh' & fanny plasters, worse still I had no gloves, so down goes Stepping Lightly to light the way, followed by myself.

(Just getting onto the ladders the other side was no mean feat, as we had to swing across the ledge 80ft up with no safety and slippy as fook) - Hell Yeah.

Once down it was death on a stick, over 4 inches in festering shite, get this wrong and you were on a death slide into the 'fresh' :eek:

Foot.jpg

Here you could see the trunk sewers the other side of the concrete column

tankflow1.jpg

Tankflow3.jpg

tankflow2.jpg

We then managed to traverse the other side to a set of ladders that were so much so covered in shite, and more lady products that climbing up the 20ft or so to the inspection walkway was jokes.

Once up, it's obvious that there is some serious overflow in here, even tho the photo is SHITE you can still see the sheer amount of toilet goodies draped around the place.

Walk1-2.jpg

Better still, here is the top of the ladder

Lad.jpg

Lad2.jpg

Inspection Gantry

Gantry.jpg

Finding the rungs was near on impossible as they were well laid with assorted 'Sewer Fresh' and the biggest collection of fanny plasters I have seen to date!

By the time we got out we were covered in the stuff, the place was grim but yet amazing as the sheer size was like nothing I had seen before.

A return visit with some serious lighting is in order. ANY VOLUNTEERS?........ :D

EDIT:

My drawing skills are gash, but just to illustrate the size of the place, as I didn't manage to get any decent pics of inside the main tank....

Draw.jpg

The smaller circle with the cut-out slots is the first chamber with the sewers intercepting below, with the penstock controls.

The larger, is the one with the walkway, the fanny plasters and the rest of the shite :D

View attachment 234628

View attachment 234631

View attachment 234632

View attachment 234635

View attachment 234636

View attachment 234639

View attachment 234641

View attachment 234643

View attachment 234645

View attachment 234647

View attachment 234649

View attachment 234651

View attachment 234652

View attachment 234655

View attachment 234657

View attachment 234659

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Just more trying to pin down where it is, but it seems that there are a few of these big un's in the locale in question, but you are right, looks filthy!

WB

28DL Wood Burner
28DL Full Member
I went with Ojay about 8 years ago, can't remember exactly where it is but will drop you a PM if I find it on the map. Last I heard the ladders had been pikey'd though!

*edit* @pastybarm I can't PM you for some reason?

Last edited:

Killa

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one:thumb
Not seen a setup like this one before, thanks for posting.

pastybarm

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I agree @Killa , I never seen a setup like this one before, it had me intrigued when it was first posted....it was not my intention to revive this old thread, merely confirm what I was looking at topside in relation was accurate. Thank you.