real time web analytics
Report - - Inside the North Bridge (Marie Curie Bridge) - Warsaw - Poland - December 2013 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Inside the North Bridge (Marie Curie Bridge) - Warsaw - Poland - December 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bhg

In Search of Lost Time
Regular User
I must say that my recent trips to my home country are becoming more and more exciting. This time I visited mostly underground stuff, few interesting bunkers (including huge, hidden in the woods - a railway one) sewers in my city (Lodz) and of course Warsaw again – tunnels, metro etc.

Also I've learned a lot about trespass law in Poland, after I got arrested and kept for a few hours at the police station for climbing EC2 live power plant chimney in Lodz...It seems that I have to try again :D

After being a bit unlucky in my city, I decided to hit Warsaw again. This city has so much to offer... I am absolutely in love with it, metro, tunnels, everything. And bridges of course - there are 9 bridges in Warsaw so far, all different and equally interesting..

During my previous trip to Warsaw I climbed the Holy Cross Bridge (http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums...ski-bridge-warsaw-poland-november-2013-a.html) this time I decided to get inside another one - the North Bridge.

The North Bridge also known as Marie Curie Bridge looks rather boring and dull from outside. Its fairly new, opened no more than two years ago.

mmsc_zpsc62e4397.jpg

Here is some info from Wikipedia:

The Maria Skłodowska-Curie Bridge (Polish: Most Marii Skłodowskiej-Curie) is a bridge over the Vistula River in Warsaw, Poland, linking the northern suburbs of Białołęka and Bielany. The structure actually consists of three parallel bridges, two for motor vehicles and one for light rail, bicycles and pedestrians. The first two parts were opened on March 24, 2012 making it the eighth road bridge in the capital of Poland, and it is now complete with the first tram line launched 21 January 2013.The construction, started with a sod turning ceremony on 3 June 2009. The work is carried out by Pol-Aqua in cooperation with Spanish group Sando and Kromiss-Bis During the design and construction works the bridge was tentatively named the North Bridge due to its most northerly location. The President of Warsaw, Hanna Gronkiewicz-Waltz, announced that she would petition the Warsaw City Council to name the bridge after Pope John Paul II. However, on 1 December 2011 the bridge name was officially changed to Maria Skłodowska-Curie Bridge to honor the Polish double Nobel Prize winner, against the opinions of citizens and District Councils of both Bielany and Białołęka districts.

So what was hidden inside the bridge?
Some people would call is epic, personally I don't like this word - it's just too pretentious for me. But I've never seen such a perfect symmetry in my life. It looked astonishing, cold and fascinating at the same time. It felt like being in a spaceship - A Space Oddysey one, such a beautiful, aesthetic and ascetic structure with such a perfect and harmonic proportion...
And I am a fan of geometry and steel and concrete :)

This is just another place from Poland I wanted to show you guys. For me - interesting cause it's different.

Some photographs for those who like symmetry :)

Outside:

IMG_5887a_zpsbe769755.jpg

Top level:

IMG_5858a_zps34556967.jpg

IMG_5863a_zps9e5c4039.jpg

IMG_5853a_zps6e93d8db.jpg

IMG_5861a_zpsaf8e8d0b.jpg

And bottom level - <3 it - trust me, it did look amazing!!

IMG_5869a_zpse250bf96.jpg

IMG_5873a_zps4f9d84c4.jpg

IMG_5879a_zpsfcb22029.jpg

IMG_5880a_zpsfa98bebf.jpg

IMG_5884a_zps02bdf85a.jpg

And outside tram tunnel:

IMG_5892a_zps6fcaeaf2.jpg

Thank you epll for a great time :)

Enjoy!

Last edited: