real time web analytics
Report - - Iron mine, Stoke on Trent 2022/23 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Iron mine, Stoke on Trent 2022/23

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
So something a little different here, I have been working on a little project to drain a mine for a while. Unfortunately some idiots found the places, pasted it over youtube and tiktok and the council have now blocked it off. So I thought it's time to post a record of it and my little project. I only went once with my camera, so there is many phone pics in the report.

History
So there is almost no information on this mine at all, on the 1875 25inch OS maps all that shows is and 'old coal shaft.' You can tell by the layout of the mine and how it was worked that it is very old indeed. My personal take on it is that it was an old iron mine adit which was reused later as a haulage level from the shaft as shown in the map below. Later maps mark it as a fan shaft, probably for Birchenwood colliery which was located next to Harecastle woods. The iron was worked upwards, following the seam up to the surface using the pillar and stall method. The ore was sent down chutes into tubs at the bottom and taken out the mine.

As mentioned I believe it connected to the shafts that were just off the A34, the main haulage tunnel has remains of railway sleepers, air doors and remains of a wall along the length of the adit - probably a return/intake for air.

Map from 1875, with features highlighted
dig levelsmall.png

a map of coal/iron outcrops in the area

coal outcrops.jpg

Rough layout of the mine + Features
IMG_20231011_0003.jpg

The explore:
The mine itself is not the safest place on earth, there is numerous collapses with large lumps of rock now on the floor. The higher workings have a lot of waste on the floor which shredded my waders to bits. Also towards the end of the mine the oxygen drops quite a bit.

The original entrance, most people I spoke to who saw me poking around suggested it was just a culvert.

20221018_080233.jpg

20221018_080315.jpg

Remains of the first air door

20230114_092323.jpg

Collapse at the first junction, facing towards the exit where it's maked as 'chamber' on the map above.

1.jpg

Boot left in the chamber, you can see the iron seam in the rock and there is a small low quality coal seam running through it. This is the only part of coal I found inside.

2.jpg

This is where the haulage road continues through the chamber heading towards the shafts. Someone had dug this out just below wader depth which gave me the inspiration to start digging further in.

3.jpg

Turning left I'm now facing towards where the chutes are.

4.jpg

Looking in the other direction at the crossroads now. It's not as rough past the junction.

5.jpg

Looking at the ledge that run across the top of the chamber

6.jpg

This next one is looking up at quite an angle

7.jpg

Roof support - at least these don't rot!

8.jpg

Looking at the way up to the higher levels. The camera is level so you can see the angle of the vein.

9.jpg

The iron seam, there is evidence of it being worked by hand. Its been undercut about an arms length from the rock face.

10.jpg

This is as far as I got going up, there is literally nothing solid to drag yourself up with. Note where the iron was on the left.

11.jpg

12.jpg

Some stacked behind a post on the haulage road

13.jpg

Now onto the crappy phone pictures

Remains of a wall. Probably to stop the air going up there
14.jpg

15.jpg

Water on the haulage level

16.jpg

Plant Fossils in the roof

17.jpg

Now for the dig.

About 50 metres down the main haulage tunnel there was a collapse where the roof had come in. You could get over the top of it but it was flooded to the roof on the other side. So I did what any normal person would do and planned to drain it by digging in a trench.

The beginings. I'd already dropped the water down a foot.

18.jpg

19.jpg

Short video overview of my first trench.

Bursting the dam (apologies for the wild camera movement)

The trench after some more widening

The trench got to about 6ft

20.jpg

Could finally start to see down the level

21.jpg

Left the pipe in now, just in case the trench collapsed on top.

22.jpg

Back the next week and of course its fell in.

23.jpg

So I dug out the other end of the pipe to get water flowing again

26.jpg

I have a couple more pictures to attach on to the next post.

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
So I decided to carry on and dig a bigger trench through the compacted clay underneath. Before coming across this beefy log.

25.jpg

27.jpg

29.jpg

It was this point where my gas monitor went off, O2 was at 17.9 and my cut off is 18. I filled my last bucket before leaving and thought to myself, I wonder what it is on the other side of the pile. Lowered the 4gas down and the oxygen was 5.7%! Time to leave.

I then put it off for a while, thinking of a way to drain it without the co2 rushing with the water. It was then I was sent a video of someone going around there.

Next time I visited it had been gated.

30.jpg

31.jpg

Last edited:

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nicely done, its good to have a project!
the log looks like a old pit prop.
Ill be amazed if that stays sealed for long, dosent look like it would take much getting back in IMO

Down and beyond

The true source of englands wealth is coal
Regular User
That’s exploring at its finest !

It’s common to dig solo. I am fortunate i have members with me, For my own safety. It’s always a council job though by 10pm I am always the last 1 at work .

Won’t take much a battery grinder 30 seconds -1 minute tops .
5e5a4cbe-92c8-4eef-9090-eae687a3c73e.jpeg

Image 16-17-18 are not showing for a mod’s info.

HughieD

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Proper exploring and dedication that mate. Really enjoyed the report and accompanying vids. Hope you manage to get back in.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That’s exploring at its finest !

It’s common to dig solo. I am fortunate i have members with me, For my own safety. It’s always a council job though by 10pm I am always the last 1 at work .

Won’t take much a battery grinder 30 seconds -1 minute tops .
5e5a4cbe-92c8-4eef-9090-eae687a3c73e.jpeg

Image 16-17-18 are not showing for a mod’s info.
Yeah but u still dig solo just with spectators, its way too hard work for me

alex17595

Down t'pit
Regular User
I'm really impressed with that. You need to make that grate just visibly secure not actually secure.

In this picture....

View attachment 1066674

.... Is that a coal seam?

Also, Ironstone mines have a reputation for bad air, did you encounter any?

It is yes, it's only a couple of inches thick and they obviously didn't think it was worth mining.

Where I was digging the oxygen eventually dropped to 17.9% on the other side of the dig I got 5.7%! It was the council that gated it, originally it was just a reel of barbed wire that didnt take much to move.

brian kelly

28DL Member
28DL Member
Wonderful stuff, thanks for sharing your adventure, hope you get to resume it, nice local history opportunity for council?

lidlifters

28DL Member
28DL Member
Aup mate, Love your post. Walked past this many times and never knew the details.. if your looking to continue i might be able to help 😉
I live in newcastle myself and know the area quite well.. give me an add or message on facebook if you like.

Last edited:

Alley

Conspicuous Loiterer
Regular User
Wow that's a great report. Love the research and work you put into this. The fossils are a nice find too.

Who has read this thread (Total: 178) View details