real time web analytics
Items of historical value | General Exploring Chat Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Items of historical value

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Gunsnrosies

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Has anyone found anything of historical value when exploring? If so, have you left it as it was?

To clarify, I don’t mean something of monetary value, or even potentially sentimental value. More specifically, items from the first or Second World War, letters, that kind of thing.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Iv seen soo many things which I thought should be in a museum, but what can you do about em?
tell someone from a appropriate museum I suppose but then its just admitting that you have been in,

Gunsnrosies

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Iv seen soo many things which I thought should be in a museum, but what can you do about em?
tell someone from a appropriate museum I suppose but then its just admitting that you have been in,
I’m just curious if something you see is historically valuable, and you have a choice as to whether you leave it for it to potentially be ruined or take it and look into what to do to best preserve it?

Basically I’d seen some POW letters in a residence, and I’d gone to some length to find out the history of the house etc. I discovered that it was left to a woman who didn’t care for the house or contents and some time later it was sold and everything disposed of into skips. I genuinely felt So annoyed that I hadn’t taken the letters to either keep safe or donate to a museum or something like that. Is that silly of me?!

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I’m just curious if something you see is historically valuable, and you have a choice as to whether you leave it for it to potentially be ruined or take it and look into what to do to best preserve it?

Basically I’d seen some POW letters in a residence, and I’d gone to some length to find out the history of the house etc. I discovered that it was left to a woman who didn’t care for the house or contents and some time later it was sold and everything disposed of into skips. I genuinely felt So annoyed that I hadn’t taken the letters to either keep safe or donate to a museum or something like that. Is that silly of me?!

I often feel the same but I have a strict moral compass & won't take anything, it goes right against the grain with me though I know many others who wouldn't think twice about it.
U can only hope that rightful owners or new owners will also see the value of such items & preserve them accordingly

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User

Been there a million times. Really its morally wrong NOT to save stuff like that. If you can get away with it then save it! Most proper explorers run thier own private museums to some extent. That's what this hobby is all about. Preserving a bit of history etc.

Els

Obsessed with BS7671
Regular User
I found a really nice model of a hospital setup in Harperbury that I thought should be saved but no idea where that went. When we went to Wind Tunnels testing site outside Bedford there where filing cabinets rammed with photographs of flight test models but I think there is a society somewhere that took all the nice stuff before it closed so I presume these where not worth saving. The bottoms of the cabinets stood in a foot of water anyway so fucked.

Personally I don't take anything as I don't believe it's mine to take but I have no fucks to give if people do take stuff. Not something I would get busted up over. Tbh I've not seen anything I personally would actually want in my home, most of it is just a load of tat imo.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I found a really nice model of a hospital setup in Harperbury that I thought should be saved but no idea where that went. When we went to Wind Tunnels testing site outside Bedford there where filing cabinets rammed with photographs of flight test models but I think there is a society somewhere that took all the nice stuff before it closed so I presume these where not worth saving. The bottoms of the cabinets stood in a foot of water anyway so fucked.

Personally I don't take anything as I don't believe it's mine to take but I have no fucks to give if people do take stuff. Not something I would get busted up over. Tbh I've not seen anything I personally would actually want in my home, most of it is just a load of tat imo.

someone knows where it went in sure :hmm