real time web analytics
Report - - J A Jackson Sand and Gravel, Preston - Aug 2021 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - J A Jackson Sand and Gravel, Preston - Aug 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lopata

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Привет!
Today I had a small walk around an active quarry near me

This is the old access road. I didnt go up it though, but its not been used in decades.

First views, looking across the new working area

I like this pool and its island. Its nice.

The bank on the right was a lot lower originally, you can actually see the original height and the new spoil that has only been added on top recently. I think this is to protect the new work area from the runoff above.

One of the older drainage pools that still remains (more on that in a minute). Notice something off?

The sign says"Deep Water" but the water, you will note, is actually really shallow. in fact its only a thin skin above the surface. Sure as hell aint deep.

And this is why. I threw a fist sized rock into this, it should be sticking out but its not because this is essentially a bottomless pit of quicksand. Remember newbies, be careful when exploring quarries and sandpits.

Part of the bank between this quicksand pool and the pool next to it had collapsed recently and subsequently shorn up with rock and earth. For reference, these pool, are above the first drainage pool I showed and the bank im on was the one to the left in that image, between these and it.

The duality of pools. Red-brown quicksand to my right, deep turquoise water to my left

Speaking of. No I do not know how deep, no I do not want to find out and no, I would not swim in there if you paid me.

The uppermost drainage pool in this sequence, and the oldest remaining. Its dried out now. Not that I would walk on it anyway.

And over from it, a pond that has formed from another drainage pool that was placed to catch the runoff from the previous produce piles

So, remember I mentioned the old drainage pits and work faces? yeah. Hereish. About 30+ feet down. If I get enough requests ill dig through my old photos, I should still have them. But yeah, there was once a massive working pit here and a pool at the bottom.

This was... Working are.

We will get to this later

Butterfly

Rusty sand, otherwise known as iron sand. Smelt this load and you might have enough for a knife.

The new product piles. I did take a picture of the old ones if people are interested.

Now is later.

The intake chute, raw material is dumped in here

I was getting rather nervous right about now, being up on the walks without any escape route

A tow lug from one of the vehicles. I dont think its been there long, there is no rust stain beneath it.

This is a portable water pump. It used to be up by the deep turquoise drainage pool but they seem to have moved it.

отличная машина from the rear

More drainage gear

I have a couple more, ill post them later. Mostly of the last drainage pond and the current work area.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Sand pits can be more interesting than you would think to have a wander round though they don't tend to excite the way that more spectacular quarries and mines do. They do have some particular hazards like the quicksand mentioned, also cliff edges can be VERY crumbly and unstable in sand quarries. You often see attractive banding in the sand like this I saw years ago at Charing sandpit in Kent.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Needs a proper title, including name of site if possible, location and a rough date

Lopata

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Needs a proper title, including name of site if possible, location and a rough date
My apologies. The date was Sunday the 1st of August, 2021, and the location is just down the road from me although i dont know its name. As long as I have lived here it has always been "The sand pit"

Sand pits can be more interesting than you would think to have a wander round though they don't tend to excite the way that more spectacular quarries and mines do. They do have some particular hazards like the quicksand mentioned, also cliff edges can be VERY crumbly and unstable in sand quarries. You often see attractive banding in the sand like this I saw years ago at Charing sandpit in Kent.
Thats lovely! We dont get much of it at this one but when we do its a nice surprise. Your spot on with the cliff edges too, I always keep a good few feet back from them when I explore it, unless I intend to descend them. And this also applies to the banks around pools and quicksand - never go right to the edge of them. Turn back if you have to, its better than vanishing forever into the depths.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
My apologies. The date was Sunday the 1st of August, 2021, and the location is just down the road from me although i dont know its name. As long as I have lived here it has always been "The sand pit"

We don't know were you are though mate , and dont need the day you went but the month and year
Probably a bit late to edit yor title now btu im sure admin @Ojay could amend it when you can tell us were down the road form you is :D

Lopata

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
We don't know were you are though mate , and dont need the day you went but the month and year
Probably a bit late to edit yor title now btu im sure admin @Ojay could amend it when you can tell us were down the road form you is :D
Understood! The location is here 53.71070587305357, -2.6761274677992963 (google maps)

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
J A Jackson sand and gravel, near Bamber Bridge south of Preston.

Who has read this thread (Total: 210) View details