real time web analytics
Report - - Jeld Wen Timber Yard, Suffolk - July 2022 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Jeld Wen Timber Yard, Suffolk - July 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Jeld Wen Timber Yard

This is one of them local places you drop into whenever passing, think I've been close to six times now, every time I get a new camera lens, I use Jeld Wen as practice!

These photos are from my various visits through 2022/23. I've put the date on the report as the first time I visited. It’s a really likeable place, not stressful and plenty of photo opportunities. The history has been put up on here plenty of times before so won't go too In-depth.

Jeld Wen was originally founded in Oregon - United States in the mid 1960s, over time it then grew into an international company with over 150 divisions and thousands of employees in various sectors.
The site in Lowestoft was originally owned by Boulton & Paul, they opened the site in 1962 and ran smoothly through till 1999, when it was bought out by Jeld Wen. The site then ran until 2009, when it shut down due to the rise in manufacturing costs and a recent drop in the construction industry, possibly due to the financial crisis around that time. 194 workers lost their jobs. The 34-acre site now sits derelict on the docks, slowly becoming more and more vandalised.

Security used to be on site, @Mikeymutt always tells me a story about Jeld Wen, he first visited when security was still on site, got some of the way around the site and was then given away by the hundreds of gulls which flew off as he walked near them, thus alerting security.

The site is now free of any security and it very easy to enter. Within the past month, some very basic measures have been taken to secure the site, including some flimsy boards covering a hole in the gate. I should imagine these will soon disappear though. This site is a favourite for the local kids. Some of which @dansgas1000 managed to scare off once, when he donned a Hi-Viz vest he found and walked about, a load of kids came in, Dan looked at them and shouted “OI, SECURITY, YOU CANNOT BE HERE, YOU MUST LEAVE” and started shining a torch at them. They scarpered while we laughed and carried on photographing in peace.

First up is the main hall. Love the vents in the roof here.

IMG_5549-HDR.jpg

IMG_5558-HDR.jpg

IMG_5564-HDR.jpg

IMG_5561-HDR.jpg

IMG_0729-HDR.jpg

IMG_0698-HDR.jpg

IMG_5573-HDR.jpg

IMG_5567-HDR.jpg

A few detail shots for good measure

IMG_5533-HDR.jpg

IMG_5517-HDR.jpg

IMG_5511-HDR.jpg

IMG_5481-HDR.jpg

IMG_0713-HDR.jpg

This room slightly reminds me of GB's with all the wooden storage slots.

IMG_0751-HDR.jpg

Out the back to the enormous fans.

IMG_0797-HDR.jpg

IMG_0804-HDR-2.jpg

Went back in the winter and found some lovely fungi near the fans

IMG_5615-HDR.jpg

IMG_5624-HDR.jpg

IMG_5621-HDR.jpg

Love an old phone!

IMG_0853-HDR.jpg

Outside to see the huge pipes

IMG_0879-HDR.jpg

IMG_0898-HDR.jpg

IMG_0910-HDR.jpg

Finishing up with an external shot of the main building

IMG_0937.jpg

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Beautifully shot. It had taken a hammering on my last visit. Not sure the state of the place now. Then fungi near the fans are something else.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Beautifully shot. It had taken a hammering on my last visit. Not sure the state of the place now. Then fungi near the fans are something else.
I haven't been in very recently, I drove past a few weeks back and saw the pathetic attempt at sealing the site. Might go in one day and see what state it's in. it's far from the condition it was when you first went!

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Oh they attempted to seal it a bit then ha ha. Yeah it was in great condition. The advantage now I suppose is that everything is open were everything was limited before. Bloody pesky seagulls.

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Oh they attempted to seal it a bit then ha ha. Yeah it was in great condition. The advantage now I suppose is that everything is open were everything was limited before. Bloody pesky seagulls.
Oh yeah everything is wide open. There's plenty of entry points but they only sealed the main one on the gate, walk about 100m down the road and the fence is still laying down, meaning you can still walk right onto the site haha.
I know your love for the gulls ahhaha

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Ha ha can't believe that fence is still laying down. Yeah plenty of them gulls about that bit :rofl

Last edited:

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great shots mate and well covered. I was pleasantly surprised by this place and really enjoyed it. I haven't taken the 50mm there yet maybe I should! I don't like to people away and maybe that was a bit out of character, but they were loud and chucking shit about so I thought it was for the best :rofl

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great shots mate and well covered. I was pleasantly surprised by this place and really enjoyed it. I haven't taken the 50mm there yet maybe I should! I don't like to people away and maybe that was a bit out of character, but they were loud and chucking shit about so I thought it was for the best :rofl
Might be worth going back then!
Oh leave off, you loved scaring them away haha

JakeV50

28DL Regular User
Regular User
We gave it a good look and contemplated doing the same but the metal platform I reached up the top of one of the ladders was in a seriously bad way, the salty air has done a number on the metal.
Hmm probably best to leave it then. It's a long way down!