real time web analytics
Report - - Kinmel Hall, North Wales October 2010 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Kinmel Hall, North Wales October 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rookinella

I should have danced all night
28DL Full Member
Visited with Havoc.

10 billion years ago, I remember this coming up on the radar but for some reason it slipped out of my thoughts until it popped up in Havoc's and SparkUK's reports last month. I jumped at the opportunity to visit this grand house and it was an excellent little jaunt. The word "swanky" is an understatement in regards to Kinmel Hall. Decked out in marble and vast oak staircases, it's what every dignitary could want in a holiday palace. The telly works and I had a good roll around on the sha-pile rug like a contented cat before heading upstairs and chilling out on the massive stacks of mattresses. It was like a princess and the pea bed :)

Here's some history:

Jump to: navigation, search

Kinmel Hall is a mansion near the village of St. George, close to the coastal town of Abergele, in Conwy county borough, Wales.

The present chateau style house, the third on the site, was designed by W. E. Nesfield in the 1870s, and the adjoining Venetian Gardens were designed by his father, W. A. Nesfield. The adjoining Neo-palladian style stable block is attributed to William Burn, with construction completed in the 1850s

The house is set in walled gardens of around 18 acres (73,000 m2), which are themselves set in grounds of around 5,000 acres (20 km2), encompassing open fields, parkland and forests. Kinmel mansion, constructed in Wales in the 1870s is an excellent example of the myriad of new types of spaces that were arising during the Victorian era to fulfill increasingly specialized functions. For example, there was a room in the mansion that was only to be used for the ironing of newspapers, so that the ink would not come off on the reader's hands [1].

Ownership of the house has been dominated by the Hughes, Lewis and Fetherstonhaugh and Gill families. There are many heraldic shields displayed throughout the house which show evidence of the unions between these families. The property was last used as a private home in 1929, after which it was converted to a 'rheuma spa', a health centre for the treatment of people with rheumatism, by Mrs Florence Lindley, formerly headmistress of Lowther College, at the nearby Bodelwyddan Castle. The spa remained until the outbreak of World War II, when the hall was taken over as a hospital[2]. Since then it has been used as a conference centre, and an educational venue.

The hall is now the property of Derbyshire Investments and currently under renovation.

_DSC4566.jpg

_DSC4565.jpg

_DSC4564.jpg

_DSC4563.jpg

_DSC4558.jpg

_DSC4555.jpg

_DSC4554.jpg

_DSC4553.jpg

_DSC4552.jpg

_DSC4549.jpg

_DSC4548.jpg

_DSC4542.jpg