real time web analytics
Report - - Ladybower Reservoir Outlet - Upper Derwent Valley - June 2014 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ladybower Reservoir Outlet - Upper Derwent Valley - June 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Ladybower Reservoir lies in the Peak District and was established in 1935, when the Derwent Valley Water Board were tasked with providing a sustainable and safe water source for Sheffield and other surrounding areas and key cities. It was the final reservoir to be constructed out of the three that now reside within the vicinity. Ladybower wasn’t completed until 1943 and during that time it was necessary for two local villages (Derwent and Ashopton) to be drowned. Although all of the residents were relocated, one lady refused to move and continued to live in her property up until her death in 1990. By this point, it was rumoured that the water in Ladybower Reservoir was touching the front steps of her cottage. The remnants of the village still lie beneath the surface of the water and occasionally, when the water levels are particularly low, some of the old structures are still visible to passersby.

The dam itself is especially unique as it houses two entirely enclosed bellmouth overflows which are each located at either side of the wall. Both structures are constructed of stone and have a diameter of 24 metres (80ft), with outlets that are 4.6 metres (15ft) in diameter. Water is discharged via two separate valve houses which are situated at the base of the dam. Although the overflow tunnels originally had walkways positioned throughout, they have been dismantled and, with the exception of the odd frog, fish and shrew, the structures remain completely bare.

After a good caving session in the Peak District we found ourselves inadvertently driving towards Ladybower Reservoir. As we drove we gazed at the calm waters, and watched several people casually fishing and riding bicycles. Suddenly, the exploration urge began to twitch and in an instant we found ourselves tucked away inside a fine looking overflow tunnel. Inside it was reasonably windy and a fair amount of nature also decided to join us on our little expedition into the darkness. Both overflow systems are remarkable structures though, and were well worth a visit!

DSC_0545a_zps93086218.jpg

DSC_0549a_zps45fd5dee.jpg

DSC_0551_zps0f75038a.jpg

DSC_0554a_zpsc058460d.jpg

DSC_0556a_zps1d184d83.jpg

DSC_0561a_zpsd106e850.jpg

DSC_0567a_zps1d16a38f.jpg

DSC_0566_zps11067845.jpg

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Now that's bloody good :thumb
was the S in light painting intentionally the wrong way round?
Its not the easiest thing to do
good work

super nerris

On A Mission....
28DL Full Member
Nice one guys, I went to have a go at this a couple of weeks back but was overflowing, can't wait to give it a go, a nice practice for me I think before I try megatron. Nice report and write up!! :thumb

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Nice one guys, I went to have a go at this a couple of weeks back but was overflowing, can't wait to give it a go, a nice practice for me I think before I try megatron. Nice report and write up!! :thumb

Cheers :) I'd say Megatron is a little easier to get into than this though.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
Now that's bloody good :thumb
was the S in light painting intentionally the wrong way round?
Its not the easiest thing to do
good work

Haha. Glad you enjoyed the report! It was intentional - gotta have the 'Z' in WildBoyz!

A-C-P

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
For years I have wondered what would happen if you fell / got sucked into one of those bellmouth overflows and now I know the frightening truth. Excellent work, thanks for sharing this!

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
For years I have wondered what would happen if you fell / got sucked into one of those bellmouth overflows and now I know the frightening truth. Excellent work, thanks for sharing this!

Lol, strangely enough I've always wondered the same too.

Miner69er

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
i'd shit myself twice over if i ever fell down one of them things! a nice place of nature but one that need be respected, i've heard of folk getting pulled under the water by freak currents (god help you if the outlet is open aswell) Reservoirs are both beautiful places but can be dangerous lol, still some very cool pics :) thanks for sharing.

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
i'd shit myself twice over if i ever fell down one of them things! a nice place of nature but one that need be respected, i've heard of folk getting pulled under the water by freak currents (god help you if the outlet is open aswell) Reservoirs are both beautiful places but can be dangerous lol, still some very cool pics :) thanks for sharing.

Hmmm, me too... But, at least I know the way out now :)