real time web analytics
Report - - Leybourne Grange, October 2016 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Leybourne Grange, October 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

True_British_Metal

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Solo explore.

"It can't be this bad. How can it be THAT bad? How can it be THAT ruined?!" were my first thoughts on this place. Fully demolished in 2010-11 with the exception of three buildings, what once was a site bigger than I could ever have expected was now mostly a leafy rural housing estate. All that remains of the original colony is the superintendent's house (well, a house behind the gardens), the clocktower and manor house.

If there's one type of place or era that's been talked about in exploring more than any other, it's the golden age of the asylum.Closing in 1996, at a time similar to the asylums, Leybourne Grange colony was often incorrectly labelled as an asylum and inevitably associated with the aforementioned golden age. I remember looking at this place in my early days of exploring (online, not in person), but I never ventured there mainly a. because it was too far away and b. far too trashed to be worthy. But at the same time, I always looked at the manor house and wondered what it was like inside, being one of the golden age sites. For years boarded on every floor and alarmed, I never saw anyone properly cover the inside apart from the staircase. So alongside another golden oldie, I decided to venture out there.

I got on site, and once again for no reason my nerves hit me. I was alone and had heard about the guards, but I otherwise had no reason whatsoever to be nervous. It was stupid, really stupid. Eventually I picked up the courage and went to the clocktower. The floors were among the worst I'd ever seen, and the building had lost most of its photogenic value so I only left with one photo of the clock mechanism.

30072922686_40ed0008c6_c.jpg

I did climb to the top to scope the site out, but forgot to take my camera. Silly me.

The fear hits me again, having seen two cameras covering the manor house and my potential access. Again, it was a now or never moment so I chose a harder but well covered way in to the manor house and got ready.

30072889726_06a5f6466a_c.jpg

By no means did I expect the mansion to be mint, no no. But THIS BAD?! Literally, crumbling to a point where I have to watch EVERY step? Yep. I came in expecting a moderate level of decay, but this was worse than anything I've ever done. Utterly ruined.

29993222142_f3411b31a8_c.jpg

30107378005_45e7cd1525_c.jpg

30072784656_743454e7e3_c.jpg

It goes to show; you can alarm a place to its rafters. You can board up every window, every door, but once dry rot or wet rot gets in it's like a cancer that just spreads relentlessly. I never thought it could be this bad, but years of fungal blooms running riot have turned this once-grand building into a fragile, ruinous shell.

29479215714_df238a95e8_c.jpg

On the whole, contrary to my expectations there wasn't that much to see inside but nevertheless some nice little details so as not to go home feeling empty handed and TOO disappointed.

29993124232_064ef449b2_c.jpg

29812456430_781bc735f3_c.jpg

29812425340_43a08e2c69_c.jpg

29479103474_0616e89bd3_c.jpg

30107260955_897307123c_c.jpg

The ground floor had all the interesting features, sadly. Upstairs were just more tags and bare, crumbling rooms.

29993008342_5f0363fb66_c.jpg

I had to watch every single step I made. How I didn't even put one foot wrong is a miracle.

29812342150_3065d0902b_c.jpg

30023520471_f973179138_c.jpg

The state of this place in a nutshell. That's not even damage caused by fire!
29992944162_4175f4af9c_c.jpg

Having seen everything, I ran back out and bumped into some local teens. "Have I been busted now?" I joked. Had a nice chat with them about the guard and how angry he'd been when he caught them. That didn't stop them going in many more times though; heh, I was lucky to not catch a single sight of him. "Nah, the guards don't work on Sundays" one said. Ha! Young explorers in the making?

On a final note, all the remaining buildings thankfully will get restored eventually. Nothing has happened with the clocktower except installing scaffold to stabilise it, same with the superintendent's house behind the gardens. As for the manor, scaffold and metal sheeting is over the top now; as far as I can tell if they're doing anything with the place it's securing the roof before anythign else. Either way, it's a herculean effort ahead.

Once again, thanks for reading through the waffle. Cheers,

True British Metal x

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Great report. I'd like to see the manor house but by the looks of it I think your photos do the trick from here! Like you say interesting how well it was looked after from a keeping people out point of view only to let it rot like a pear!

UrbanZ

ERROR 401
28DL Full Member
it's really decaying this place, went about a month ago and nearly fell through the floor as it crumbled underneath me, my whole foot went through but i managed to stop myself going any further.

ASOM

One-Man Urbex Art Army
28DL Full Member
Interesting to see it again - looks worth a quick mooch if down that way.

Hybrid

28DL Member
28DL Member
Great post mate. I have visited this place many times 10+ years ago when it was thriving with eerie abandonded buildings.
So i decided to go again amd see what was left so me and my brother in law went there yesterday (september 2017), only to find a large new housing estate! The manor house aand clock tower are srill there along with a few small building surrounding the new estate, but they are guarded fairly well with spotlights, guards and dogs. Seem fairly unaccessable. Its such a shame!!
Thanks for sharing your pics.

If anyone knows anywhere in the kent area that is worth exploring, please let me know.
We do not damage or steal anything from these sites, its purley exploration and getting a thrill out of being in a place frozen in time. We also document out explorations. Thank you!