real time web analytics
Report - - Ligatne bunker Latvia | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ligatne bunker Latvia

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

L

lampyman

When Latvia became independent in 1991, Ligatne’s top-secret nuclear fallout shelter, hidden away in rural countryside 75 kilometres south-east of capital Riga, remained a secret defence object. Indeed, it was only finally revealed when its one-metre-thick doors were opened to an unsuspecting Latvian public 12 years later. You might wonder how a nuclear bunker could remain top secret for more than a decade after the fall of the soviet empire, but Ligatne’s covert construction under the site of a hotel and rehab clinic in the middle of nowhere left the site’s protruding ventilation shafts as the only clues.

we found out about this place in the easyjet in flight magasine
Home then in aug 2007 we left luton airport at six in the morning flying to riga were we had booked a daytrip to visit ligatne and then to go and shoot big guns in another bunker in riga before returning home that evening at midnight.

although on tour and not free roaming it was an epic bunker unfortunately I'd been having trouble with my camera and these are all the pictures i took.

the difference between this and so many other bunkers i have seen is that its still maintained and looked after by the Latvians and it hasnt been stripped, the whole bunker could be used with very short notice, even the teletypes were maintained with new wiring fitted to them! it was really nice to see a complete soviet control bunker!

Half the bunker is ocupied by the latvian equivalent of BT so some rooms were off limits but it was an interesting tour and the place is huge.

This is the health clinic above ground
1.jpg

Some subtle clues to whats beneath
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

CCCP typewriter
7.jpg

Inside the Meeting room
8.jpg