real time web analytics
Report (Permission Visit) - Lighthouse and Plaza de Toros. Colonia, Uruguay - March 2014 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report (Permission Visit) Lighthouse and Plaza de Toros. Colonia, Uruguay - March 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

ofthesohoriots

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Spent a few days in Uruguay, and while I focused more time on sunbathing, swimming and playing with friendly dogs on the beach than urban exploring, I thought I'd post up a few places I did see.

The lighthouse in Colonia del Sacramento was built in 1857, and is still operating.
I paid a small fee to get in, and climbed a little higher than I should have when there was no one around.

a1_zps6d4ad521.jpg

a2_zps9726c0cd.jpg

a3_zps52c35590.jpg

Driving the most ridiculous hire "car", I was pedal to the metal nearing about 30MPH, trying to save money for other things.

a11_zps5f98ebd6.jpg

I got this thing out on a 90KPH road at one point, to the amusement, bafflement, and horror of other road users in their real vehicles. Looked at a few masts to climb, but they all started on the roof of occupied buildings, and I got caught straight away on the one I did attempt. Then I found this unused bull ring:

b_zps3ebd9a5a.jpg

a12_zps014e83ad.jpg

Access was simple enough, hop the fence and walk right in.

a17_zps55662bc4.jpg

a16_zps7679231b.jpg

a14_zps83d19f9d.jpg

a15_zps2815cd04.jpg

a13_zpsf4c4ea2c.jpg

Ideally there would be at least one crane or mast climb to add here, considering how many I saw out there, plus some better photos of where I did go.. - but heh, this is what I got! :)

steveekay

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
very interesting, what you doing in uruguay? nothing to do with a certain law change concerning a certain plant eh? hehe

when hiring a car i must remember to avoid the 'kawasaki viaggio'

ofthesohoriots

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Haha.. holiday - I wish I could say exploring, but this really was about as good as I found. All buildings I looked at that seemed likely to be abandoned - turned out to be inhabited!
I'm a big fan of José Mujica, he had one crazy life, including two of his years in prison spent living down a well!! The thought of plants did cross my mind, but I was only in Uruguay for a few days - I had popped over from Buenos Aires, as I recently spent two weeks based there, having a little look around that area of Argentina, with the odd trip a little further afield.

If you're a fan of friendly people, nice weather, ridiculously beautiful women, and infectious street carnivals every day, I would highly recommend Buenos Aires.
I hate all of those things though, so I had a horrible time.. ;)

- and yes, invest in an actual car if you're hiring!!

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details