real time web analytics
Report - - Linton Summer School camp, Yorkshire, May 2020 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Linton Summer School camp, Yorkshire, May 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lancashire lad

chief taster for costa coffee
28DL Full Member
HISTORY
Linton was one of around 30 camp schools built by the National Camps Corporation in rural locations around England. The architect T S Tait was responsible for the design of the buildings.
The original purpose of these camps was to provide holiday accommodation for city children, who would otherwise not have had the opportunity to experience the countryside and nature.
With the onset of the Second World War in 1939, Linton school along with other national camps, was utilised for evacuees as it was thought at the time that children from industrialised towns and cities were vulnerable to enemy air raids. It was opened in July 1940 with most of the evacuees coming from Bradford.
The timber frames and floor joists of the buildings rested on brick and concrete piers.The sides were covered in timber cladding and they were overhung by cedar shingle roofs. They also had red brick chimney stacks.
There was an outdoor swimming pool and an air raid shelter.
Provision on the site would also have provided shower blocks, a greenhouse, a headmaster’s house, a central boiler house, and a water tower.
A playing field occupied the eastern part of the site.
After the war the camp remained open as a special residential school having been purchased in 1957 by Bradford Metropolitan District Council. The authority ran the school as a boarding school for children - around 90 in total -with behavioural difficulties or those who couldn’t be accommodated at home for various reasons. A number of the children were sent there on medial grounds, such as those suffering from asthma.
There was an extensive programme of refurbishment in 1960-61. This included enclosing of the verandas at the end of the accommodation blocks and the addition of corridors down their sides.
The residential school officially closed in May 1986. It was then used periodically as a summer scout camp, but has now remained unused for some years. It has since been home to ‘travellers’ and been a victim of vandalism and theft. Most of the internal fixtures and fittings have been stripped out of the buildings, the assembly hall being the most derelict of them all.
The land to the south of the site and adjacent to the former playing field contains archaeological remains of a medieval settlement which is a designated scheduled ancient monument.
The settlement likely contained several buildings as well as around 20 small folds and paddocks, and a medieval quarry. The settlement and medieval field systems are visible as earthworks.

EXPLORE
Driving up to the camp it was quite well hidden by a copse of overgrown and unloved pine trees and barricaded by a large rusty farm gate, A small iron fence runs the perimeter of the place and was quite easy to hop over into the undergrowth and out the other side into the camp. I saw the camp posted on a local page and when i heard they sent children here away from the cities it caught my interest and i drove up the following day. Some of the huts are in good shape mainly the middle ones that have been shielded from the elements by there not so fortunate Neighbours who look in a sorry state. You can feel the age of the place when walking round and a feeling of sadness that this once happy place so for so many unfortunate children and under privileged kids has been left to rot and collapse, a place that gave some kids there very first holiday or summer trip couldn't be shown the same love and care. There were a few original features left to be seen and just enough left to make out what each place was used for, I love finding the clues to build up a picture then checking the history to varify my thoughts anyway a nice relaxing two hour stroll in and out of the old huts making sure i didn't miss a trick and having captured the shots i wanted i headed back to the gate and into my car, Happy that this forgotten place will be documented and then shared with like minded people.

Dining hall and kitchens, also used for indoor gymnastics and P.E
linton camp.jpg

One of the Dormitory buildings, toilet block at the back and shower block. one of the better condition
huts.
linton camp-6.jpg

Looking out to one of the classrooms buildings.
linton camp-10.jpg

A porcelain noddy cup, The only sign that children were here at some point
linton camp-12.jpg

The new inhabitants of the camp.
linton camp-25.jpg

A small brick shed and at one point part of the air raid shelter( now demolished).
linton camp-27.jpg

Another classroom Building, this one had a boiler fitted and was right next to the open air swimming pool,
Maybe related but we will never know.
linton camp-15.jpg

Some nice distressed wood.
linton camp-26.jpg

Inside one of the Dormitory Buildings.
linton camp-24.jpg

Inside the dining Hall/Gymnasium.
linton camp-30.jpg

Attachments

• linton camp-31.jpg
    linton camp-31.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 23

chills

Queller of the uprising
Nice report there. Doesn’t look like a huge amount to see but nice natural decay and takeover.

illusions

28DL Member
28DL Member
I attended this school and was one of the last to leave in 1986. Linton for me was an amazing place to be it doesnt look much from the pictures but i remember it when the roof had tiles and the windows had glass and the walls had stories to tell...

Who has read this thread (Total: 249) View details