real time web analytics
Report - - Lisnevin Borstal / Prison Officer Training Facility | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lisnevin Borstal / Prison Officer Training Facility

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

StephenLees1999

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Decaying But Not Forgotten Institutionalized Solitude

Situated not far from the rather sleepy seaside town of Millisle in Co. Down, a place seemingly so normal at first glance, a grand yet empty white building one of exquisite architecture known as "Woburn House" built in the 1800s owned by John Gilmore Dunbar, next to that on the left a handful of around 27 mundane residential properties. What's so special, I hear you ask? To most people, this site on the surface would seem of no consequence no intrigue no mystery. However, dear reader I can inform you that in this case, the reality is much different as you learn what lay beyond the pines, the towering barbed wire that once kept in the "violent and disturbed youth" subdued and subjected too much hardship while subsequently training a generation of regulated authoritarians and the effect on locals who still haven't forgotten the echoes of ominous sirens sounded when a detainee had absconded from the Facility.

A History of Abuse Escapes Reoffences and Politics

The facility was named HM Borstal Millisle and ran between 1950 and 1980. During this time there were multiple allegations of sexual, emotional, physical, and sectarian abuse from staff and other residents with fights being described as a daily occurrence. It closed as a detention center on 7 October 2003 but has ever since been the subject of much worry and debate, as to the future of the site. With prison population growth and an estate-funded strategy that is prepared to address the population growth and the associated overcrowding issue. When the borstal closed, the site was taken over by NIPS (Northern Ireland Prison Service. The site used to train prison guards and also had capabilities to train dogs for work in prisons eventually the facility would close as a prison officer training school in 2016. Since then the site has been subject to investigations by (HIA) or the Historical Institutional Abuse committee. During the course of its life, multiple public inquiries over the years were held as local residents maintained their objections to the school due to the nature of the types of offenders being held at Lisnevin ranging from not going to school to paramilitary activity.

The Haunting of Woburn House

If you are partial to believing in the mysteries of the unknown and the things that go bump in the night, there have been several folklore stories of a butler who murdered a maid he had gotten pregnant by pushing her off the rocks and into the depths of the deep blue then after hanging himself in one of the rooms in Woburn. It's said that she roams the site and her ghostly figure has been seen by locals clutching her stomach and gazing longingly out into the bay for the day she might be at rest. Nonetheless, you may take that one with a pinch of salt I hear they're all Witch fearers in those parts.

A Not so happy conclusion

I can't help but feel sad as most of these adolescents were merely a product of the times and only further hardened and desensitized by the system that was designed to rehabilitate and educate them. To quote Queen's University Belfast, remarked that "they came in as criminals with low self-esteem and went out as criminals with high self-esteem" reoffence rate being as high as 98%. As I wandered a free man around the cells and looming corridors I could feel an inherently palpable sense of the horrors and immense unhappiness that must have unfolded in this prison, almost like it had been soaked into the walls, and existed as a perpetual cloak of its very being that enveloped me in every twist and turn, this is the only urban exploration that I have encountered to date that's left me feeling simply uncomfortable, this feeling was only further solidified when looking into the history of Lisnevin. I remember being taken by the amount of artwork scattered around in cells and classrooms really hit home that these weren't hardened criminals but children at some of the most vital developmental stages of early life and these paintings all be it, childlike or cartoonish, where the final remnants of humanity existentialism and human creation left in this decaying morbid statue of justice. For this is the reason and many like it, that it's absolutely vital we see these places document and preserve them.

Would I recommend seeing Lisnevin? My answer is and always will be of course regardless of the response that it solicits from me as it's up to you to go out and experience it for yourself ultimately drawing your own very personal conclusion! This hobby is a gift that keeps on giving and one I will always have a deep affinity with as when looking for answers for a better future sometimes all we have is our past.

This is the first of hopefully many reports! Go easy always happy to hear constructive criticism!

1634240123604.jpg

1634240183152.jpg
1634240262357.jpg

1634240601007.jpg

1634240624756.jpg

1634240653807.png

1634240673156.jpg

1634240698037.jpg

1634240712925.jpg

1634240729793.jpg

1634240751274.png

1634240768898.jpg

1634240802828.jpg

1634240870194.jpg

1634240884206.png

1634240890924.png

1634240903988.png

1634240939447.jpg

Attachments

• 1634240808856.jpg
    1634240808856.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 31

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Good 1st report. Some decent photos too. Id like to see more. As Hughie said a mth & yr needed in title. Very comprehensive write up & a good personal perspective on the place. Was this a permission visit?

Sounds like you wouldn't want to be there alone at night. I personally would love too lol

StephenLees1999

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good 1st report. Some decent photos too. Id like to see more. As Hughie said a mth & yr needed in title. Very comprehensive write up & a good personal perspective on the place. Was this a permission visit?

Sounds like you wouldn't want to be there alone at night. I personally would love too lol

Hi there, thanks for the feedback, I'll be honest its been abandoned for a long time and has been left open in areas so as it wasn't per se one I had permission to be in but made sure not to damage anything and was respectful of my surroundings, just there to take photos to make memories and leave footprints. Yeah, I'd say it would be an entirely different feeling at night!

Littletent

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hi! I was an inmate in Millisle for over a year in the late 70s. The photos and writings here triggered all sorts of emotional debris and I now feel so disturbed I think I’m going to get out of bed and go for a drive around Belfast for an hour or so to clear my head. It was like realising someone had access to your old recurring nightmare and had taken photographs of it! in saying that though, I’m glad I found those pics although I’m not really sure why!

StephenLees1999

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hi! I was an inmate in Millisle for over a year in the late 70s. The photos and writings here triggered all sorts of emotional debris and I now feel so disturbed I think I’m going to get out of bed and go for a drive around Belfast for an hour or so to clear my head. It was like realising someone had access to your old recurring nightmare and had taken photographs of it! in saying that though, I’m glad I found those pics although I’m not really sure why!

Wow! Must admit this comment has me entirely "taken aback". I'd like to say that I'm sorry you had to go through that at such a young age and that I can see it left such a lasting traumatic impression, furthermore being one of the many reasons I don't agree with places like lisnevin which really, is neither here nor there. In retrospect, your comment has made me realise that indeed I am privileged to have walked through the remnants of someone else's memories and not had the misfortune to experience it for myself but in fact, has also posed a poignant question of the morality relating to the study of "Urbex" or "Urban archeology" Where is the line drawn? Alas, I'll end with the only theory to that question I can muster...

It is important to write what's not written about what's left before it's forgotten.

Who has read this thread (Total: 157) View details