real time web analytics
Report - - Liverpool Magistrates' Courts - Liverpool - June 2021 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Liverpool Magistrates' Courts - Liverpool - June 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jtza

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Liverpool Magistrates’ Courts

Visited with @little_ boy_explores and @huyt.urb and separately with @UrbandonedTeam and @DustySensorPhotography

DSC02946.jpg

Liverpool Magistrates' Courts was designed by John Grey Weightman built between 1857 and 1859. The grade II listed building had 7 court rooms inside and was used to judge a wide variety of crimes. In 2007, it was announced that the Dale Street building will close to be replaced by a new purpose-built set of courts, but it took until 2015 for the building to finally shut after 150 years of operation. Finally in 2015 the magistrates moved into the crown court building in derby square and to be known as a single crime centre. As of 2018 the plan was to convert the building into a new hotel.

This place was another pin I had down for a while and never bothered with until a day in Hudds ended up with us meeting Alex in Liverpool for the rest of the evening. After not being out properly for a while, I fancied checking some stuff I hadn’t got round too prior, in hopes of seeing something new. After a couple recces elsewhere, we arrived outside the court building. It was @urbanchemist ‘s fire station report that piqued my interest when I first pinned it alongside the numerous LiverpoolEcho articles showing what it was like just after closure, so we had some hope for it. To confirm, the map found on chemist’s report is correct, in that the purple and green area makes up the entirety of the courts building. A planned route was already in my head, so it didn’t take us long to begin to search for our entry. We got here just in time to see some of the original court rooms and architecture. Plenty of rooms were stripped and work had evidently begun years ago. It seemed as if it was halted for the time being but out of the 7 courtrooms inside, only two remained intact (relatively). The rest of the building still had a lot to offer and made for a nice set of evening moochs.

DSC02941.jpg

DSC02940.jpg

Now inside.

DSC02896.jpg

To begin with, the main court rooms still intact. Court No.1 and No.4. No.4 being completely left alone.

No.1.

DSC02887.jpg

DSC02861.jpg

DSC02888.jpg

There were plenty intricate an original details if you looked close enough.

DSC02891-2.jpg

Outside the main court, this spacious arched hallway connected you to some of the stripped smaller courts and probation offices.

DSC02862.jpg

DSC02865.jpg

This hallway led to court No.4 and the Magistrates and Solicitors lavatories.

DSC02898.jpg

Court No.4. Plenty of old painted signage could be found.

DSC02869.jpg

DSC02872.jpg

DSC02867.jpg

DSC02868.jpg

Onto the rather nice lavs just nextdoor.

DSC02879-2.jpg

DSC02875.jpg

Solicitor toilets.

DSC02880.jpg

The rest of the courtrooms on this level, as I’ve said, were bare. Here’s a roundup of what remained.

Court No.3.

DSC02863.jpg

The signage had been removed for the remaining rooms.

DSC02870.jpg

DSC02904.jpg

DSC02874.jpg

Before we headed down to see the lower floors, we explored the various offices and grand spaces out of the way from the main court area. Most of the rooms were bare and lacked any architectural significance but some of the boardrooms, library spaces and the staircases were interesting.

DSC02876.jpg

DSC02900.jpg

DSC02895.jpg

DSC02877-2.jpg

DSC02928.jpg

DSC02927.jpg

To be continued...

jtza

28DL Regular User
Regular User
The lower floors had larger and older office spaces and one of the modern court rooms, Court No.7. Most importantly, the cells were down here, and they were all original from the Victorian Era.

Main entrance.

DSC02906.jpg

DSC02921.jpg

DSC02909.jpg

Lobby space for Court No.7.

DSC02922-2.jpg

The courtroom itself.

DSC02923.jpg

The cells were accessible from the ground floor, but this staircase was too good to not show. It was the main worker access route from the main courtroom level. This stonework and colour scheme was continued throughout the cells that could hold up to 70 inmates at one time.

DSC02897.jpg

DSC02917.jpg

DSC02910.jpg

Inside one of the cells on this row.

DSC02912.jpg

Along from this row was a set of interrogation rooms and a security office. The interrogation rooms were still setup with a bench and table without the top. Something none of us had seen in a court exploration.

DSC02913.jpg

DSC02914-2.jpg

Security room.

DSC02915.jpg

Another row of 3 cells could be found nearby, this time the cells themselves had arched roofs and were more spacious.

DSC02919.jpg

DSC02916.jpg

Other massive empty office spaces.

DSC02920.jpg

DSC02908.jpg

And with that, we had seen everything of interest and left.

Thanks for looking!​

urbanchemist

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Excellent, I suspected it was being stripped but could never get inside - much more left than I thought there'd be!

chills

Queller of the uprising
I need to check out some bits around Liverpool before it’s all wiped! Some lovely details there, nice job! ✌

Terminal Decline

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's rather bloody nice, pity the builders have chewed up so much, but it looks like the best areas are still intact for now.

catbalou

off the wall
Regular User
Those cells are huge! Much bigger than our local courts. Nice to see the rows of books too, excellent stuff

jtza

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice one, glad we got to see it before the renovation company stripped anymore of the original details out! What a day it was too... specifically like the part when your car got locked in that sketch underground car park and we had to jump the Heras fence in-front of BTP to catch our train :p
Cheers mate. It was an eventful end to the day to say the least...

SpiderMonkey

BrushMonkey
Staff member
Lovely stuff.

Tried this a few years ago but with zero luck. Great to see that so many original features remain!