real time web analytics
Report - - London Road Deep Shelter, Portsmouth - July 2017 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - London Road Deep Shelter, Portsmouth - July 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
London Road Deep Shelter, Portsouth

History

The Portsmouth War Emergency Committee was considering the possibility of providing the civilian air-raid shelters by tunnelling the chalk pits on Portsdown, and at a meeting held on 11 June 1941 the City Engineer reported that although he had not received definite instructions from the Ministry of Home Security to proceed, he had been told verbally to get the Contractors started on the work of excavating the tunnels. The total capacity of the shelters was to be at least 5,000 persons.

It was agreed that admission tickets should be given on the following basis: priority to mothers with children, in which case the husbands would also be admitted. The first degree of priority in these cases to be given where the people did not have bunkered shelters of their own in which they could sleep. Claims were to be considered irrespective of income and of the areas in which people normally lived.

A report from the Assistant Chief Warden on the administration of the deep tunnel shelters was submitted on 3rd September 1941, and as a result the appointment of various personnel such as Shelter Superintendents, Shelter Wardens etc was approved. Eight Wardens, including two women, were subsequently appointed.
Joseph Parkin, the Portsmouth City Engineer, drew-up prototype plans of the shelters, initially for 1,017 people, which was rapidly expanded to 5,100 people in two separate shelters less than a mile apart: the Wymering Tunnel Shelter, and the London Road Tunnel Shelter. Note that this figure refers to the total capacity of both shelters not just to that at Wymering as is often quoted. The combined length of the shelters was 1.8 miles, and the total cost of construction was £73,298 at 1943 prices. Part of the specification stated that a person should only have to pass 60 sleeping people to get access to a clear corridor.

To speed up construction multiple adits were made into the chalk face, corresponding to every tunnel 90 degrees from it. On completion all but the main and two escape portals were sealed up. Ten adits were made for the London Road shelter. Each adit was 39 feet 9 inches between centres.

The construction work was started in July 1941 by Sir Robert McAlpine's Construction Company. Unfortunately no record of this event exists with the company today.
The shelters were lined with corrugated sheeting supported by steel ribs, and the concrete floors were dished to facilitate cleansing and washing down. Bunks in three tiers were fitted after the style of the bunks in the Underground Tube stations in London. Canteen facilities were provided so that hot and cold drinks could be obtained. There was also a place where shelterers could smoke and where some form of entertainment could be given.

The first-aid post consisted of a waiting room where cases of accident or acute illness could be treated and more serious cases were passed to the sick bay. There was also an isolation section for the segregation of cases of infectious diseases, until the patients could be moved. The medical staff comprised a medical officer and two duty nurses.

It was originally intended to provide a rudimentary heating and ventilation plant at each location, consisting of a coal fired boiler house located just outside the eastern escape tunnel which would force warmed air into a shaft 6 feet by 5 feet located to the right of the main tunnel portal. However there is no evidence that this work was ever started. Ventilation was "natural" (see below), which means that there wasn't any, and all former occupants recall the stuffy atmosphere and condensation running down the walls. The shelters were not proofed against gas attack.

Two vertical shafts were provided in each shelter for ventilation and rescue. They were located at the far corners of the shelters, and consisted of a number of steel ladders each leading to their own platform (or 'interval' as they are called on the plans) within the shaft, so as to prevent a lethal fall. At ground level, above each shaft, was a "detonation cap" of 14 feet diameter by 3 feet thick concrete, the purpose of which was to stop a bomb falling clean down the shaft, and under the cap was a chamber the size of a shed with the exit to the outside offset from the main shaft for the same reason. Above ground was a square ventilation stack 6 feet 6 inches square and built of brick. Today there are no visible signs left of any of these shafts.

Men and Women's toilets were provided within the tunnels, and 6 inch vertical boreholes ventilated them to the surface. Also provided outside the shelters were the "Gentlemen's and Ladies Ablution" huts, or washrooms.

On the original plans each shelter had a water cistern storage tunnel located 30 feet above the eastern escape tunnel, which provided a water supply for the occupants. It was reached via a steel ladder from the ground. It is still un-clear whether these cisterns were ever installed.

Explore

Visited with @Bertie Bollockbrains, @Minor and @UrbanZ

Bit of a late one but it was well worth it. After a long drive down from Glos. I was finally standing outside my first deep shelter, we didn't hang around as the site is now a caravan park and there were dwellings not 30 feet away from the entrance, so, with a quick hop, skip and a jump we were inside. First thing I noticed was that this place in mint! Obviously been stripped out but in amazing condition. Very little of the original features still survive but you can tell this place has not had many visitors over the years or at least the wrong sort as there is almost no graffiti which makes a nice change from some of the other shelters I've seen in reports.

A few test shots were taken and then off for a wander round to see what it had to offer. Unfortunately the generator has been completely removed but you can still see where it was mounted. Never in my life have I seen so many toilets in one place and all still pretty much intact although all the wooden cubicles have long gone. All the bunks have rotted away as well and nearly all the washbasins have gone but the place still has a lovely atmosphere and must of been very cosy to be holed up in.

None of us felt like climbing the ladders, knowing that the exits had been buried/sealed long ago so we didnt. Wish I'd got a shot of them though.

We covered most of the place but after a while all the corridors started to look the same, it was getting late and we had a long drive back so we decided to call it a night. So, retreat to the access and a quick exit we were back to the cars, after a bit of shooting the shit we all went our separate ways.

Was a good night out even if I do have a few mental images I'd rather forget :eek: and was good hooking up with Minor and UrbanZ, really good to meet you guys; always welcome down my neck of the woods.

Still getting to grips with my new camera but I think I'm getting there.

Pics

The famous motorbike
mXztWcS.jpg

Laundry
ZLJoApD.jpg

Gents
05jh40z.jpg

Corner
vhDFX6s.jpg

Corridor
g7c4IRl.jpg

More corridor
ZPvw6Se.jpg

Blast wall
Le816Xx.jpg

Main Entrance
8ZzeSBu.jpg

Wardens Office I think, with the lighting controls
RH5lBuh.jpg

Moody ( or under exposed)
rHnFfef.jpg

Yet more corridor
3TfNj0L.jpg

Ladies
sSy1RxL.jpg

Random wheel and bucket
QR33Yex.jpg

Even more corridor
intlWZU.jpg

Signage to show where your bunk was allocated and for simple navigation
8hHclb1.jpg

More signage
Ir46fZQ.jpg

Near one of the emergency ladders
SYop4NR.jpg

Almost the last corridor shot
tBh1oJC.jpg

The final corridor
GnnmvcR.jpg

Arty nonsense to finish off with
zuJTg0B.jpg

Thanks for looking :thumb

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
That being one of the mental images I was talking about above...

Mrs. B must be so proud :p One for next years calendar?

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
It's been along time since this was open, sounds like the same entrance from your write up as well, nice one.

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Nice, glad to see it open again.

One time I was there, the old guy that lives closest to the way in said "I wouldn't go in, the council are on their way to brick it up"

I said we were going in anyway, and if it was bricked up on our return, the cement would still be wet and we'd get out and give him what for.

What actually happened was that the council workers were waiting for us, we showed them our pictures, and they went off to get cameras and torches for an explore before they had to seal it up.

That said, we got back in a year later so it was all a bit pointless really.

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Nice, glad to see it open again.

One time I was there, the old guy that lives closest to the way in said "I wouldn't go in, the council are on their way to brick it up"

I said we were going in anyway, and if it was bricked up on our return, the cement would still be wet and we'd get out and give him what for.

What actually happened was that the council workers were waiting for us, we showed them our pictures, and they went off to get cameras and torches for an explore before they had to seal it up.

That said, we got back in a year later so it was all a bit pointless really.

Seem to recall people sensibly putting '2 persons inside 12am 1/2/2008' notes on the access point just in case. Might be wise thing to do again this time around for anyone going..

tumbles

Drama Queen
Staff member
Just heads up - gate is padlocked again. However you can just about squeeze through the gap to the right of it but it's very very tight!

UrbanZ

ERROR 401
28DL Full Member
Just heads up - gate is padlocked again. However you can just about squeeze through the gap to the right of it but it's very very tight!

That's how me and Minor got in the first time, wanted to get in so quickly didn't even try pulling the gate just slide in around it, wasn't till we revisited with Oort and Bertie that one of them pulled it open...

Minor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report and pics! Was good to meet you and Bertie, even if I did get a little mentally scarred in the process.

Who has read this thread (Total: 6) View details