real time web analytics
Report - - Longfords Mill and Engine House, Gloucestershire - August 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Longfords Mill and Engine House, Gloucestershire - August 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
Longfords Mill and Engine House - Nailsworth, Gloucestershire.

IMG_1434_zpswxpz1vjy.jpg

As a Gloucestershire-based explorer, I regularly find myself tapping phrases such as 'derelict Gloucestershire' or 'abandoned Stroud' into Google. This has paid countless dividends over the years, but it also offers a disappointing glimpse at some of the epic looking sites that came before my time, and that have long since been demolished/converted. One such place is Longfords Mill - as far back as 2009 I can remember being teased by photos (taken in the late 90s) of an epic-looking disused mill complex near Nailsworth, complete with engine house, that had supposedly been converted into housing in 2004.

Anyhow, back in January I happened across a webpage which appeared to suggest that the engines were still in-situ and were due to be restored by the Stroudwater Textile Trust, a local group that seeks to recognise the importance of the woollen industry in the Stroud Valleys. A bit more searching and it became apparent that a large chunk of the original buildings haven't actually been converted at all, and only appear to be occupied as they have had their windows restored so that the new residents don't have to look at an eyesore. Sold!

IMG_1419_zps5ozfps3b.jpg

Some history of the mills:

The local textile industry dates back to the Middle Ages and evidence for a mill at Longfords survives in the Minchinhampton Custumal of 1304. It was described there as a water mill which is interpreted as meaning it was a corn mill. However by the 1600s it was a combined fulling and corn mill, typical of many in the valleys.

In 1759 Thomas Playne leased the estate, house, farm and mill. Thomas Playne was one of many local and generally small suppliers to the East India Company. Thomas’s sons William and Peter Playne expanded the business considerably, building two other water powered mills which they divided between them, with William occupying the whole Longfords site. However they continued to supply the East India Company as a partnership and in 1820 were apparently the largest supplier of cloth to it - £20,000 worth.

The dynamic leadership of William and his son William junior ensured that the firm William Playne & Co. adapted to the innovations in production introduced in the 19th century and it enormously increased with the development of new markets. Unlike the Stanley and Ebley Mills sites where major new buildings replaced the historic fulling mills, Playnes added new buildings when necessary. The 20th century saw equally dramatic changes as the firm, now a subsidiary of Winterbotham Strachan & Playne Ltd, struggled to survive in often difficult times. This meant extensive new brick buildings (which have since been removed), new machinery and the introduction of electricity.

During the last phase of the mill’s life, from 1970 to 1990, it was the largest manufacturer of tennis ball cloth outside of the USA. The name William Playne & Co. continues as the trade name for the tennis ball cloth.

All in all a thoroughly enjoyable explore with huey and WDW. Some pictures:

The Mill

IMG_1066_zpsegsf0cfm.jpg

One must be... creative in order to get to the upper floor, but it's always a pleasure to see a mill with machinery still remaining.

IMG_1033_zpsnzkt0iwe.jpg
IMG_0997_zpsy8x0i0lw.jpg

IMG_1026_zpswfgselr0.jpg

IMG_1365_zpsl1cblw2s.jpg
IMG_1009_zps6xrrkmtv.jpg

As the industrial revolution progressed, the elderly mill buildings struggled with the advent of larger and larger milling machinery. Downstairs, a beautiful cast iron bracket and reinforced beam shows and attempt to support new machinery on the upper floors.

IMG_1387_zpshp4fw7wz.jpg

Moving into the 'old mill' - this building has a date stone from 1703, which is the date when William Playne assumed it was built, but the style of lettering is early 19th century and it is more likely to date from the early or mid-1700s. This was “the fulling mill and water grist mill” bought by Thomas Playne in 1790, and parts of the floor have been repaired with parts of the original waterwheels, removed in 1840. Whilst it's pretty bare, inside it's old old old.

IMG_1350_zpsvkbmek9b.jpg

You know graffiti's old when it's carved into the wall in Times New Roman ffs

IMG_1046_zpsdk6xyvb1.jpg

IMG_1328_zps9kfmjrlk.jpg

'He is still wearing the same cap - February 1940'. Also note the calculations hastily scribbled onto the walls, some dating from the Edwardian era!

IMG_1091_zpsxnpcrkt4.jpg

The Engine House

The real paydirt was downstairs in the basement of the Old Mill. By the early 1900s, William Playne’s grandson owned the mill and in 1910 opined that the old 4 storey mill buildings were no longer safe for the modern heavy and quick–running machinery. The outside walls, which had had stood for more than a century, began to show signs of the heavy strain to which they had been subjected by the new machinery and in all probability before long the Factory Inspector might have condemned them'.

As a result, the Old Mill underwent another extensive renovation and became the site of a “central power station”. The whole mill, with the exception of the fullers and washers, was converted. Today, the Old Mill contains a unique and diverse arrangement of power generating equipment: a 125kW Gordon water turbine with a dynamo, a Bellis & Morcom steam engine with a dynamo, and a later Allen diesel motor. The water turbine is of particular significance, being both more unusual than the other two generators, and demonstrating the continuing significance, well into the 20th century, of water power to the mill.

IMG_1115_zpspyhzscm0.jpg

Inside it's rather special, and in many respects I was reminded of the engine house at Tonedale Mills that urbanity and I cracked way back when.

IMG_1108_zps0m89pcx0.jpg

The 1904 Bellis and Morcom steam engine:

IMG_1178_zpslyejtgjc.jpg

Complete with Mather and Platt dynamo:

IMG_1192_zpsrzfepbyd.jpg

IMG_1120_zps04ph8e74.jpg

The Allen diesel motor, dated 1947. Rumour has it that itwas originally designed for a WW2 submarine, but as always the truth is somewhat less romantic - it was in fact commissioned for ship-board service, before being altered for industrial use after the order was cancelled.

IMG_1198_zpsnodyldiz.jpg

IMG_1256_zpsdyfoazv2.jpg

IMG_1288_zpsaar45qd1.jpg

The motor is attached by a fat drive belt to an English Electric alternator:

IMG_1208_zpsavdnoshj.jpg

IMG_1284_zpsbycvixht.jpg

IMG_1229_zpsz1tvy8v8.jpg

And finally, the Gordon water turbine. When I briefly visited in February, the river was thundering through the inlet pipe and making an awesome noise, but by the second visit all was quiet.

IMG_1132_zpsutj2qpzz.jpg

The engine house is by no means a walk in and takes a bit of effort to see, but put the effort in folks!

IMG_1097_zpsh9ayfo8u.jpg

A later Laurence Scott alternator, dated 1947:

IMG_1144_zpsrzqjxuzs.jpg

Now get searching! :p

Last edited:

Cuuvin

28DL Colonial Member
28DL Full Member
:eek: SWEET MOTHER LUGNUTS !!! That's one hellva Engine room! got just about everything, 'cept a nuclear reactor ! :D Thanks for sharing, what an excellent find & report , mate , :thumb , :Not Worthy and all that stufff ,..
KEEP-CALM-EXPLORE-ON--small.jpg

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Got to say mate thats one hell of a mill and engine house, well done on getting it done.

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cheers man, just goes to show it's still out there.

Very true, i just wish there were more people find g these places, it seems to be getting less and less. Still as long as the hardcore keep at it these places will keep cropping up..

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Sweet, obviously Gloucestershire mill firms keeping the "rural" theme going with their choice of engine hall coverings! The Lancashire cotton barons would consider that a tad plain.

That said steam engine in situ walks all over Minton tiles (in everyone else's opinion)

I have google'd "disused engine house" a million times and never heard of this so top marks for the find!

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Yeah never heard of this one either. Just goes to show you what you can find on your doorstep, no ferries required.