real time web analytics
Report - - Lost Graveyard, Salford. 01/20 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lost Graveyard, Salford. 01/20

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bignickb

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
After viewing a very interesting Video I became interested in finding this place, so - using Google Earth and a few pointers in the vid, I located it! I went down today for a closer look and was quite appalled by what I had to see; Forgotten is very much the word here as there must be generations still alive who are linked to the interred.
Known as Barton-upon-Irwell Roman Catholic Cemetery - It was opened in 1820 on land which Squire Thomas Trafford donated, it was also attached to the All Saints Mission in Trafford Park.
People were more religious and life spans were short back in those days, hence so many graveyards were built
Burials continued up until 1948, a total of 276 were laid to rest here. Some privately owned family ones and unmarked Pauper graves.
It's decline started when Peel Green Municipal Cemetery opened a Catholic section so it fell out of use.
Today there is a high wall circling it and it's still a mystery as to who owns and should be maintaining it.
It's a shame because I don't think our dead should be just forgotten like this. But it was still a fascinating walk round.

_DSC9477b_zpsmaas8y37.jpg

_DSC9475b_zps1mumk9fx.jpg

_DSC9473b_zpsoitpxwgk.jpg

_DSC9471b_zpsagwkqsjm.jpg

_DSC9469b_zpsj5gznkz3.jpg

_DSC9466b_zps60wq0acj.jpg

_DSC9464b_zpspc7ek4d5.jpg

_DSC9445b_zps8mamuzdn.jpg

_DSC9443b_zpsxfmakzfw.jpg

_DSC9441b_zps2ck4jbzb.jpg

_DSC9468b_zpszpcyvyrt.jpg

pirate

Rum Swigger
28DL Full Member
That’s needs a local community group to clean up......any idea how Iong its been unkept ?

tigger

mog
Regular User
Always thought this place was a bit odd. All Saints has it's own graveyard on the other side of the River Irwell (ship canal at this point now!). There used to be a Methodist Chapel next to the graveyard...though the burial ground for that was alongside it.
It seems likely that this graveyard went out of use when the current All Saints was reconsecrated in the late 1860's. Never had a reason to look at the graveyard there to see if it is from that date or earlier (there was a church before the current one) but that might give a clue as to When/why this small cemetery was abandoned.

As for the number of graveyards decreasing.... nothing to do with people being more religious in the past it was due to the rapid urbanisation of society causing small graveyards to become overcrowded in those areas and therefore provision of municipal graveyards. Conversely, in more rural areas there were no longer sufficient people to keep churches viable so they and their churchyards became unused (in modern times with the Church being much more commercial they are unwilling to fund the upkeep of such places).
In the mid 1800's Barton Upon Irwell was a village, by the end of the 1800's it was significantly larger and early in the 1900's it was just a housing estate with the massive Trafford Park Industrial area over the other side of the canal.

EDIT:
I have just realised that this ISN'T the abandoned graveyard I was thinking of (they are close to each other) ....it's the one that technically now belongs to the 'new' Holy Cross monstrosity. Doesn't change my thinking about when it stopped being used.

Last edited:

Yorrick

A fellow of infinite jest
28DL Full Member
All Saints has it's own graveyard on the other side of the River Irwell
I'm pretty sure that Barton Cemetery was part of St Catherine's, which was Anglican. The church was consecrated in 1843 so presumably Barton Cemetery would have a similar date? The church was demolished in the 1970's.

All Saints church was built in 1867

tigger

mog
Regular User
I'm pretty sure that Barton Cemetery was part of St Catherine's, which was Anglican. The church was consecrated in 1843 so presumably Barton Cemetery would have a similar date? The church was demolished in the 1970's.

All Saints church was built in 1867

The current All Saints replaced the older mission and graveyard.

I vaguely remember St Catherine's ...it was still there when I was a nipper (the graveyard from it is sort of maintained - I visited it a couple of years ago to find a memorial...after I'd been to a funeral at Peel Green.. whole area was worse than I remember)

Peggy2121

28DL Member
28DL Member
theres a couple graves near pendelton police station only about 5 previoulsy covered by leaves it was quite weird to see turn up and why an earth theyre there by the main road

Who has read this thread (Total: 215) View details