real time web analytics
Report - - Lotus Cars Old Factory..Hethel, Norfolk April 2023 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lotus Cars Old Factory..Hethel, Norfolk April 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
A place I had drove past last summer and noticed these old buildings opposite the live main factory. I had a little look but I could only get in one tiny room that did not show much promise at all. I did check every now and again but nothing changed. I then noticed one time that new fencing had gone around it and some new cabins. I could see all the doors were open. Went back to give it a look, wondering what could be inside, would it be an old lotus or lots of equipment. Ok an old lotus is hoping too much, but there was nothing at all. But it needed documenting as the complex are old World War Two buildings. Lotus took over Hethel and repurposed the buildings. This part was maybe a finishing shop for painting as several extraction fans inside and you can see holes in the ceiling were pipe work went through. Also one sign said powder room. After the new factory was expanded it seems this was not used. It was then used as the classic lotus building, this housed all the old classic cars and memorabilia. A nice shiny building was built and this was deemed surplus to requirements. Like I say nothing to exciting but it needed documenting as it contained according to maps the locker, rest and drying rooms for the crews and a Norden Bombsight workshop and store. I have not seen any pics of it, prob no one really even notices it. Went past it a few days back and demolition is well under way now.

RAF Hethel was a former World War Two airfield situated just outside Norwich. It was built in 1942 and was designated station 114. Hethel was the HQ for the 2nd Combat Bombardment Wing. Due to it being incomplete it was used as a staging airfield for a short time. When it was opened fully in June 1943 it was the 3i9th Heavy Bombardment Group that was based at the airfield. After the war finished the Americans handed the airfield back to the RAF. The airfield was used by several groups of fighter command, including RAF Polish squadrons using North American Mustangs. The base finally closed in 1948 and laid empty and abandoned for many years. Lotus cars bought the site in 1966 and used the remaining hangars and associated buildings as the workshops and such for building the cars. The factory has grown considerably, and a main part of the runway is now used as a test track. I could hear them racing around whilst there and looked through the fence to watch. The old gymnasium and chapel has been restored by volunteers and now houses a small museum.

IMG_4927.jpeg

IMG_4928.jpeg

IMG_4929.jpeg

IMG_4930.jpeg

IMG_4931.jpeg

IMG_4932.jpeg

IMG_4933.jpeg

IMG_4934.jpeg

IMG_4935.jpeg

IMG_4936.jpeg

IMG_4937.jpeg

IMG_4938.jpeg

IMG_4939.jpeg

IMG_4940.jpeg

IMG_4941.jpeg

IMG_4942.jpeg

IMG_4943.jpeg

IMG_4944.jpeg

IMG_4945.jpeg

IMG_4946.jpeg

IMG_4947.jpeg

IMG_4948.jpeg

My other favourite thing to photograph is fungi. So when I see fungi in derelict buildings I get excited ha ha. Sadly left the macro lens at home.

IMG_4949.jpeg

Last edited:

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Good little local find. Love that fungi shot - the only place I've seen that type of mushroom that isn't in abandoned buildings was in my old uni house's downstairs bathroom! The bloke who used it was an absolute animal.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Places like this do need photographing & documenting, many a time Ive read on social media people asking "what was there before; such & such." Social history is one of main reasons for me doing this. And Im nosey lol. Well spotted. Nice clean toilet too, bonus lol

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good little local find. Love that fungi shot - the only place I've seen that type of mushroom that isn't in abandoned buildings was in my old uni house's downstairs bathroom! The bloke who used it was an absolute animal.
Thank you mate. It's only up the road from me and spotted looking at world war two buildings. I have a bit of an obsession with fungi ha ha. Your old uni house sounded a right treat :rofl

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Places like this do need photographing & documenting, many a time Ive read on social media people asking "what was there before; such & such." Social history is one of main reasons for me doing this. And Im nosey lol. Well spotted. Nice clean toilet too, bonus lol
Yeah I definatley agree, I documented it as I was already inside. Bwing nosey is fun. Was pleased to find a toilet, really thought it was going to escape me here as they had started stripping what little was inside ha.

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nice work on spotting this mate, I remember you mentioning it a while back to either me or Jake. Empty but definitely worth documenting. Great pics as always,

Who has read this thread (Total: 185) View details