real time web analytics
Report - - Lydgate tunnel, Oldham, 12/09 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Lydgate tunnel, Oldham, 12/09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bungle666

....king of snake........
28DL Full Member
situated between the saddleworth villages of grasscroft and grotton. this tunnel wich measures an impressive 60.17 chains (1335 yards OR 0.76 miles) and was constructed in 1856 for the LNWR finally closed in 1955.

i visited a few years back with stepping lightly and the place was in a poor condition at best.

there was some to-do in the oldham chron a few years back too about residents concerns that it was about to collapse and this pressed network rail to carry out some remedial works not long after.

i have been meaning to get back to this one, and see for myself what network rail have done to the structure to ensure its stability, i was suprised to say the least!! overall the tunnel seems alot drier and plenty of brickwork has been replaced in patches throughout.

anyhow, pics...

the grotton portal
DSC_4923.jpg

relic
DSC_4921.jpg

old wooden cable troughing
DSC_4916.jpg

the centre airshaft, these have all been capped off, but notice the new brickwork and steel strapping to hold it all together
DSC_4913.jpg

more new brickwork, with drain pipes
DSC_4912.jpg

the airshaft at the grasscroft end, this is STILL in poor condition with brickwork falling in and bricks missing throughout. this is also the wettest of the shafts
DSC_4910.jpg

refuge
DSC_4909.jpg

tunnel
DSC_4907.jpg

grasscroft portal
DSC_4903.jpg

action thompski
DSC_4904.jpg

a good night TBH, glad i got back in there!!

B..