real time web analytics
Report - - Machinagraph, Sheffield - April 2011 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Machinagraph, Sheffield - April 2011

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Kaplan

Procrastinator
28DL Full Member
I arrived on site while the sun was still low in the sky. This is definitely my favourite time of day to explore - cool and quiet, and the light was great this particular morning with a decent sunrise.

Established in 1966, Machinagraph manufacture name plates labels and plaques.
They moved to newer premises in another part of Sheffield around 2006/7 (although weirdly, the first floor workshop seems to have been abandoned for a lot longer - since the early 90s judging by the expiry date on some drinks cans and newspapers I found).

The building itself looks like it's had some major structural repairs carried out on it at some point in the distant past.
Previous reports suggest that it was a school at one time (the only external evidence I can see of this is a stone lintel above a bricked up doorway which says 'Trinity Church Schools', but this doesn't look original to me). From the inside the school idea does make more sense though - the layout and some of the features like the heating system seem to fit.

Oddly, parts of the ground floor - workshop, spraying room, etching room, offices and reception - are not accessible from upstairs without going outside. There is also a small part of the building that I wasn't able to get into which is a flat or small house (the white part and level above in the first photo) which also has no access from inside the main building.

All in all a nice little explore with some interesting stuff to look at. The strangest thing I came across was a small room in the bowels of the building that was crammed floor to ceiling with cheap looking reproduction antique furniture.

DSC_0372-Copy.jpg

DSC_0384.jpg

DSC_0394.jpg

DSC_0412.jpg

DSC_0418.jpg

DSC_0419.jpg

DSC_0427.jpg

DSC_0433.jpg

DSC_0453.jpg

DSC_0508.jpg

DSC_0564a.jpg

DSC_0588a.jpg

Hopefully I've not gone overboard with the pictures!

Criticism welcome :thumb

Who has read this thread (Total: 4) View details