real time web analytics
Report - - Madron Workhouse/ Meat Factory 12/3/2015 (First report) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Madron Workhouse/ Meat Factory 12/3/2015 (First report)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

blirg

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I had a look around for is this had been done before and couldn't see it, so I hope this is interesting for my first report on here!
Ventured out today in the wet to have a mooch around.

History:
Up to 1834, a parliamentary report (1777) listed parish workhouses in operation around Penzance for up to 30 inmates (and also in operation in Marazion for up to 8 inmates)
After 1834, the Penzance Poor Law Union was formed in 1837, it represented 19 constituent parishes around Penzance.
The Madron Workhouse was built in 1838 (In Madron), intended to accommodate 400 inmates, it served many of the surrounding villages and towns as a place where the poor could be sent to live and work.
The institution was closed in after the inauguration of the NHS in 1948- with the entrance block being converted into a house, and the infirmary into a meat processing factory.

The Visit:
I had to enter through the back, with the side gates being too high and wet, and in clear view of the estate opposite, luckily a door had been opened that led into the old warehouses at the back.
DSC_0002.JPG

side view of the buildings (old):
DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0001.JPG

Within the older buildings, there's a lot of the older floors, doors, and fire places still in place:
DSC_0013.JPG
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0012.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG

A few shots of the interior stairs and the warehouse you enter through:
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG

The modern side of the buildings still have a fair amount of things still left in them:
DSC_0030.JPG
DSC_0026.JPG
DSC_0021.JPG
DSC_0020.JPG
DSC_0024.JPG

That's about all the pictures I got from todays walk around, I ran out of time to try and find a way into the attic (i've been in once, and found some old bath tub type things).
If anyone wants any more information, just give us an ask, or check out this website:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Penzance/

I'd also be more than happy to take any of you up in a group visit! :)
Thanks for reading,
Blirg.

Attachments

• DSC_0029.JPG
    DSC_0029.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC_0027.JPG
    DSC_0027.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 283
  • DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    156.2 KB · Views: 273

blirg

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Can't wait to do more stuff! Just need to look around more down here in cornwall :)

Jowan trechip

28DL Member
28DL Member
Brings tears to my eyes thinking of the brilliant Alfred Wallis interred in such a wretched wretched place 100 years past

Jowan trechip

28DL Member
28DL Member
Breaks my heart to imagine the beautiful artist Alfred Wallis interred in this morbid awful establishment called Madrid Workhouse so long ago. A travesty that such a brilliant and sensitive soul should end his days in a place like this