real time web analytics
Report - - Malta Forts and Stuff - April 2009 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Malta Forts and Stuff - April 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

pauln

too old to be reckless
28DL Full Member
Malta, as I mentioned in my posts last year is thick with forts, military buildings, tunnels and other stuff. Following a visit to a few last year I identified about another 10 to recce this year. Some, unfortunately, proved to be a wasted journey - not because they have gone, far from it - but because most were either locked up tight (one problem of a fort designed to hold off invaders is that it holds off explorers quite nicely too) or protected by some of the meanest looking dogs I've ever seen (no SIA issues here - they are running round loose). So, here's a round up of some of the sites.

Wolesley Battery 1897

After a fearsome battle with thorns and ditches I found this ex WW2 gun battery. This is actually just a few feet from somebody's back garden (handy exit on the way out)

edd372c1.jpg

3973f5be.jpg

Ammunition mechanisms still in place
49decca2.jpg

c92c3545.jpg

St Paul's Battery 1881
Easy access straight off a road, hence the wrecked nature of the site and the fly tipping in the moat. Underground area is completely flooded.

91fe02b4.jpg

1ce5178e.jpg

d443fbc9.jpg

23ff8b7d.jpg

More to follow....

pauln

too old to be reckless
28DL Full Member
And another one ....

Fort Pembroke
Fort Pembroke was built between 1875 and 1878 to safeguard the seaward approach towards the Grand Harbour and to defend the right flank of the Victoria Lines. It is now the site of an international school.The last British soldiers left Pembroke in 1979. During the Second World War, German prisoners of war were held in Pembroke's fort and during their stay, built a small chapel which served the needs of the British troops. Since then, all the land which had been acquired by the British on their arrival in Malta has been relinquished to the Maltese Government. Around the battery are many barrack buildings that have been turned into residences and schools.

I have been here several times and every time it was locked up tight. Luck was in this time and the doors were wide open. I wandered in discretely taking photos whilst making my way to the office (just in case). No worries though the staff were very pleasant and allowed me free reign (many of the buildings were locked up unfortunately). However, the whole site is well looked after. Not many WW2 remnants though.

23e0c83c.jpg

9bed5dd7.jpg

0248f78c.jpg

b656c8eb.jpg

Here's the ditch (moat?) which shows why access is a little difficult if the gates are locked - this goes all the way round. No back entrance.

47850e2a.jpg