real time web analytics
Report - - Manchester's first Curry House/Factory! 0314 | Leisure Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Manchester's first Curry House/Factory! 0314

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

bignickb

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have lived 20 minutes from this site for years, I had previously got into the building next door only to find no link between them. I also located an external boiler room that time but the pipes went straight through the wall and it ended there!
So today I finally got to see my 'Jewel in the crown' which is an appropriate term because after being a service centre for Radio and TV sets it became the Manzil Indian restaurant! The owner had been forced to move after his previous site nearby became victim to local redevelopers (Sound familiar?) At the time - it was the first Indian restaurant in Manchester; The Bombay. Mr Uddin Nazir's new site on Stockport road, Longsight had a Peacock room, an Elephant room, a Gold room and a small Ballroom with a 3 piece band. It was all decorated exquisitely to make diner's feel like they had entered the home of the Raj. Shirley Bassey was named as one of many performers from the nearby Apollo theatre who attended. In the back of the Restaurant there was a small factory producing authentic Indian cuisine in jars and packets for sale. He would go on to do very well in his business before passing away in 1987.
The Manzil opened in 1960, it's unclear when it closed but manufacturing carried on. It is also unclear when a relocation took place but I found a newspaper dated December 2000.
But today I found myself in a dark warehouse space where all this had taken place, The top floor is in very bad condition compared to the lower floors but they aren't exactly spotless either. A mask and careful footing was paramount.
It's quite heartbreaking to imagine how stunning it must have looked and how it is now.
I went in solo as usual and found some parts quite unnerving, but I survived!
_DSC1065b.jpg
_DSC1069b.jpg
_DSC1078b.jpg
_DSC1083b.jpg
_DSC1084b.jpg
_DSC1096b.jpg
_DSC1101b.jpg
_DSC1111b.jpg
_DSC1112b.jpg
_DSC1114b.jpg
_DSC1118b.jpg
_DSC1120b.jpg
_DSC1133b.jpg
_DSC1136b.jpg
_DSC1137b.jpg
_DSC1146b.jpg
_DSC1149b.jpg
_DSC1160b.jpg
_DSC1161b.jpg
_DSC1184b.jpg
C_71_article_1405201_image_list_image_list_item_2_image-709161.jpg

Jackdaw47

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I have lived 20 minutes from this site for years, I had previously got into the building next door only to find no link between them. I also located an external boiler room that time but the pipes went straight through the wall and it ended there!
So today I finally got to see my 'Jewel in the crown' which is an appropriate term because after being a service centre for Radio and TV sets it became the Manzil Indian restaurant! The owner had been forced to move after his previous site nearby became victim to local redevelopers (Sound familiar?) At the time - it was the first Indian restaurant in Manchester; The Bombay. Mr Uddin Nazir's new site on Stockport road, Longsight had a Peacock room, an Elephant room, a Gold room and a small Ballroom with a 3 piece band. It was all decorated exquisitely to make diner's feel like they had entered the home of the Raj. Shirley Bassey was named as one of many performers from the nearby Apollo theatre who attended. In the back of the Restaurant there was a small factory producing authentic Indian cuisine in jars and packets for sale. He would go on to do very well in his business before passing away in 1987.
The Manzil opened in 1960, it's unclear when it closed but manufacturing carried on. It is also unclear when a relocation took place but I found a newspaper dated December 2000.
But today I found myself in a dark warehouse space where all this had taken place, The top floor is in very bad condition compared to the lower floors but they aren't exactly spotless either. A mask and careful footing was paramount.
It's quite heartbreaking to imagine how stunning it must have looked and how it is now.
I went in solo as usual and found some parts quite unnerving, but I survived!
_DSC1065b.jpg
_DSC1069b.jpg
_DSC1078b.jpg
_DSC1083b.jpg
_DSC1084b.jpg
_DSC1096b.jpg
_DSC1101b.jpg
_DSC1111b.jpg
_DSC1112b.jpg
_DSC1114b.jpg
_DSC1118b.jpg
_DSC1120b.jpg
_DSC1133b.jpg
_DSC1136b.jpg
_DSC1137b.jpg
_DSC1146b.jpg
_DSC1149b.jpg
_DSC1160b.jpg
_DSC1161b.jpg
_DSC1184b.jpg
C_71_article_1405201_image_list_image_list_item_2_image-709161.jpg
Very good photos, it’s a shame things pass like that nobody to take over one mans dream, I didn't realize chutney came in barrels like that.:-)

Last edited:

bignickb

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Manzil's is on Deansgate now. An asian friend went there when it was open, it must have looked amazing.