real time web analytics
Report - - Mandrive Complex, Purbeck - May 2016 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mandrive Complex, Purbeck - May 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

b3n

onehundredandthirtythree
Regular User
"..When St. Aldhelm first came to Purbeck, he bound the old Pagan gods under a ban deep in these passages, but that the worst of all the crew was a certain demon called the Mandrive, who watched over the best of the black marble. And that was why such marble might only be used in churches or for graves, for if it were not for this holy purpose, the Mandrive would have power to strangle the man that hewed it."

Extract from Moonfleet - J. Meade Falkner

mc14.jpg

A while ago I was sent a copy of an old survey, headed 'Mandrive Complex' and labeled only in Latin the map gave a rough layout of a little visited mine, or Quarr in the local dialect.

The mine, or mines as this was in fact several quarrs where the workings have connected, was used to collect stone for London's paving slabs and a shell rich limestone which polished like the marbles of Italy.

This was one of the sketchiest mines i have been into, lots of crawls and the roof blocks are small and thin with lots of hanging death. The shaft was steep and at the top you can see the crab stones, which would have held a capstan operated by a donkey to pull out the stone.

mc3.jpg

mc2.jpg

mc4.jpg

mc5.jpg

mc6.jpg

mc7.jpg

mc8.jpg

mc9.jpg

mc12.jpg

mc13.jpg

mc15.jpg

Mc16.jpg

mc11.jpg

mc10.jpg

Bertie Bollockbrains

There is no pain
Regular User
@trailboss99 from another website, here's a timeline

1800s: Beginning of quarrying.
1914: Slopeshafts 2,3,4 in operation.
1939: Quarrying ceases.
1973: Mandrive Complex visited by the P.S.Q.P.S. (Purbeck Stone Quarry Preservation Society) who possibly surveyed it.

Hope that helps