real time web analytics
Report - - Mansfield Road tunnel, Nottingham, May13 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mansfield Road tunnel, Nottingham, May13

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
King Mongoose and The Wombat bring you another tunnel!

Our darkest and longest to date, at 1189 yards long exceeds our previous record holder, Haddon tunnel. Probably not best for tunnel beginners this one. Despite being under a busy city, it was surprisingly silent in there. The roof has a brick arch throughout, but the sides are sandstone rock. The northern approach cutting is infilled, and the portal bricked up.

Opened in 1898, and closed in 1968, it was on the Great Central railway. The southern cutting was home to Nottingham Victoria station. All that remains of the station now is the clock tower, and the deep cutting has been filled with a giant concrete multi story car park. A sign of the times.

IMG_4959.jpg

IMG_4961.jpg

IMG_4963.jpg

IMG_4965.jpg

IMG_4968.jpg

IMG_4969.jpg

IMG_4970.jpg

IMG_4971.jpg

IMG_4973.jpg

IMG_4975.jpg

northern portal
IMG_4976.jpg

IMG_4978.jpg

the car park where the station used to be
IMG_4981.jpg

thanks for looking
Comments welcomed

Attachments

• IMG_4959.jpg
    IMG_4959.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 158

lincstunnelexplorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice report. Would love to get into this one after being in weekday cross/Thurland street tunnel last Sunday but seems security it getting ever more stringent and the proper channels are saying a defiant no.

The Wombat

Mr Wombat
28DL Full Member
Nice report. Would love to get into this one after being in weekday cross/Thurland street tunnel last Sunday but seems security it getting ever more stringent and the proper channels are saying a defiant no.

Thanks mate
I was lucky to get to see this one in a brief window of opportunity

lincstunnelexplorer

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Without posting it online I think I can see how access was gained but I had a good look while I was there (refrained from adding the pics to my Thurland street report) and it's now heavily overgrown and locked tight. I'm sure my contact will use their powers of persuasion to let a select few in, even if we have to be togged up in PPE with dustmasks and gas detectors.