real time web analytics
Report - - Markinch Power Station, Tullis Russell, October 2015 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Markinch Power Station, Tullis Russell, October 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Markinch Power Station, Generator for Tullis Russell & Co Paper Mill

Introduction:

It's not often that I stray far from the North East of England and the Midlands, we seem to have the best stuff anyway, but this place... It just had my name written all over it, from the moment I saw @clebby 's report I knew I'd have to go, @Speed 's report a month later just re-enforced my need to get up to Scotland. Anyway, as usual a couple of month had passed, and myself and @BoroLad had been too busy to get any real plans together for a road trip to Scotland. After meeting up in Empire, 'Boro for a night out however a drunken conversation incurred and the day after we found ourselves pumped on energy drink and heading north of the border at speed! Finally, we where on our way, and I have to say I was bloody looking forward to seeing that Turbine Hall in person!

05:20, we arrived got our kit together and after a quick bit of fumbling about in the dark found our access. We headed straight to the Turbine Hall, and it didn't disappoint at all, it was about 06:00 by this point and we got a good two hours of shooting in the turbine hall without any issue when at 08:00 we spot a pair of workmen enter through an exterior door, we gathered our shit together and calmly retreated to the safety of the boiler room. Sadly they set to work on one of the water pumps situated underneath the turbine hall which obviously meant we where going to have to skip this area after creeping past them. We still had the boiler room to photograph though before leaving so we weren't too disappointed. 09:00 and we where out and away, onto our next and much less exciting Scottish derp.

History:

Tullis Russell was formed in 1809 by Robert Tullis, he acquired Rothes mill in 1836.

In 1912 the construction of Markinch Power Station began, to provide the mill with electrical power, rather than power provided from water wheel. The Coal Fired Power Station was completed in 1914, and was fitted with 3 Parsons Units and Rerolle electrical equipment.

At some point, I have no definite date, but the power station was extended to take a fourth slightly larger, more modern Parsons unit along with an English Electric system to distribute the power it generated. It was also given an oil fired system to work alongside the coal fired boilers.

Sadly, the plant was deemed too dirty after breeching EU emission regulations and was forced to close been replaced by the new biomass plant on site. For a mothballed site though, it's still very much live, all the power is still on and the readouts in the control room as still showing live stats for the power station. It wouldn't take much to raise steam and get her running again!

Pictures:

As always, I'll add more information where relevant...

Turbine Hall:

The main attraction for me... Those four Parsons Units, just gorgeous. Having spent time on assignment at Drax, I have to say I much prefer these smaller, older units to the larger units of the 60's and 70's.

Just a quick mention too, the lighting in here is a mixture of older orange and green filtered lighting, despite experimenting with the white balance, it's something we can't fix, what you see in the pics is how we saw it with our eyes...

21956804988_1b393696b2_c.jpg

Units 2 - 4 seen by the control room...

22144580945_f7ac8b20cf_c.jpg

Unit 1 and the Rerolle kit...

21523093433_542f5cc979_c.jpg

A close up of that Rerolle Set... Phwoarrr

21957714279_42d13abc84_c.jpg

Parsons, Parsons and yes... More Parsons!

22144553435_842e235ee7_c.jpg

Unit 2...

21523296483_d7fa67e41e_c.jpg

English Electric.

21957530849_1e533a49a1_c.jpg

21521570444_87fda9257d_c.jpg

Unit four...

21957449139_100ebbe692_c.jpg

21957358199_033e9b8525_c.jpg

Looking down the turbine hall with all three of the older units in.

21957388719_04390b646d_c.jpg

22118127766_51bc73c13d_c.jpg

21523347953_95327c378a_c.jpg

22144162485_11fa10201d_c.jpg

And finally, the last turbine/generator pic, unit 1!

22118298556_982885e400_c.jpg

I'm not going to apologise for the mass of Turbine Hall Pics, at the end of the day, it's why you'd come here anyway, right?

The Boiler Room/Furnaces

Didn't get many in here as we'd been disturbed and where on high alert expecting one of the guys to walk back through here at anytime. We set the tripod and lighting gear up quickly and popped a few shots off before leaving.

International Combustion...

21957221649_8c2484e412_c.jpg

And looking back down the boiler room, note the 28dl famous Hopkinson Gauge near the center...

22117902286_f3332dd348_c.jpg

And that's all from me from here, for now! Although it's Scotland and miles away, I feel I have unfinished business here and hope to re-visit, sometime soon! So keep an eye out for a report extension! ;)

As always cheers for reading, and I hope you enjoyed the pics,
TAW :)

Last edited:

Speed

Got Epic Slow?
Regular User
I really dont understand why people aren't flocking to this place. Really doubt we will ever see one this good again. There certainly wont be many!

Sounds like you had a close call too. I noticed they had been filling in the log sheets in there every day. I found it rather strange the doors were all boarded up tho, you would think HSE wouldn't be too keen on having no fire escapes.

Next person to go needs to find a way into the workshop next door. That looked epic too. I guess there's no sign of the place winding down further?

clebby

( . Y . )
Regular User
Lush work. The rest of the paper mill is boarded up as well, and I think it's only been mothballed so I imagine the plant is all still in there..

Which cretin has pilfered the Reyrolle letters?!

WhoDaresWins

Let's do this
Regular User
Seen this beauty only last week. I was blown away. The photo reports I seen did it justice but seeing it in person is something else. Stunning place.

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Markinch Power Station, Re-Visit 2017 December

Introduction:

Visited with @AndyK

I'm not too sure why I never uploaded these images, guess I was too busy with work! Sadly the past 5 weeks I have been in hospital, unfortunately injuries do happen in the military but I'm getting to the point of almost been recovered now, hopefully bringing some more urbex back!

Markinch is a glorious power station though, seeing the place for a second time was awesome getting to see the boiler house in full at last three years later! International Combustion LTD Coil Grated Boilers alongside a Gondolier Monorail providing each of the four boilers with coal is quite possible the last thing that remains in the UK. I can only think of Ardeer an West Point that have such an awesome set of grated coil boilers, having the gondolier only exists here though I believe! Gets even better with those 1950's Parsons fitted in the Turbine Hall, lush!

Turbine Hall:

This really is about the Boiler House, but I can't help but share these three, pretty impressed especially getting the shot of the turbine hall below stood up on top of the slightly larger Parsons with the smaller three in shot.

27701445159_b076edd018_z.jpg

Another two of the turbines, this time taken in daylight as opposed to night, the electricity is switched off in here and sadly the basement below the Turbine Hall is now flooded... Hopefully the place won't get too ruined, it really does deserve to be preserved.

24531768577_876dfb224c_c.jpg

Reyrolle Controls, looking just like something of Frankenstein's, love it...

31555046148_83942e2747_c.jpg

The Boiler Room

Here's a few then, really am glad I managed to finish this area off three years later!

Just look at those IC LTD graters, really is one of the best things we can see nowadays for sure...

30488922267_48385e7a8c_z.jpg

45430808491_bdab409b5c_c.jpg

44706287614_c81cea1e38_c.jpg

31555737498_e651832368_c.jpg

Top of the Boilers...

45379543932_f3edb6244b_c.jpg

And finally the Bunker and Conveyor...

45379547572_52a26991eb_c.jpg

Thanks for viewing, hope you enjoyed seeing the boiler house presented at last!
Cheers,
TAW :)

slayaaaa

That's fantastic, interesting to see International Combution LTD here as well, they supplied the boilers for Coryton, a power station I had visited in Perth, Australia and no doubt a lot of other smaller industrial power stations. I was going to ask if you had any luck researching the company as a few years ago i couldnt find much at all, but after a quick search just now it turns out graces guide has a great article on the rise and fall of the business.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/International_Combustion:_The_Rise_and_Fall_of_a_Great_Company

It'd be nice to see where else they had works and this article mentions a fair few other places.

Brilliant post none the less and thoroughly enjoy seeing posts about this site, I should really get myself here for a look!

The Amateur Wanderer

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That's fantastic, interesting to see International Combution LTD here as well, they supplied the boilers for Coryton, a power station I had visited in Perth, Australia and no doubt a lot of other smaller industrial power stations. I was going to ask if you had any luck researching the company as a few years ago i couldnt find much at all, but after a quick search just now it turns out graces guide has a great article on the rise and fall of the business.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/International_Combustion:_The_Rise_and_Fall_of_a_Great_Company

It'd be nice to see where else they had works and this article mentions a fair few other places.

Brilliant post none the less and thoroughly enjoy seeing posts about this site, I should really get myself here for a look!

Cheers mate, it's definitely worth having a look there, it really is pretty much the icing on top of the cake exploring stations.

I've got a large book at home showing the designs and a bit of history on International Combustion boilers from the 1950's, as well as a 1920's book on Babcox Wilcox machines would send a few pictures over if I weren't stuck in hospital, they used to have those things all over the empire, even a few in the Soviet Union! Graces Guide is pretty spot on though, plenty of info on there.