real time web analytics
Report - - McDougall's Flour Mill, East Sussex - November 2020 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - McDougall's Flour Mill, East Sussex - November 2020

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jxck.urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Introduction

McDougall's Flour Mill

PJ-2044-3719774.jpg

After a brief moment of college where tension was high and stress as rife. I made plans with @Tom Ellis to go to Billionaire's Row and scout the local mansions on the weekend. Unfortunately, luck was not on my side and I couldn't find the means to get to London. Feeling sorry for myself, I contacted my other friends to just hang and chill out, since I wanted a means to escape college for a day. It was then that luck poked his head out to greet me. My friends wanted to come see and abandoned building with me. Having exhausted Shoreham Cement Works, I found a 2019 report of an old flour mill in East Sussex, my friends couldn't have jumped to action quicker if they tried. As such, we set off on our merry way, camera in hand.

History

The sight being used as early as 1792, a blotch in history until around 1900 when the flour mill was first built. In about 1908-1910, a fire ruined the previous mill but was rebuilt as a roller mill with the helping hand of Mr McDougall, hence the name. This story is shady however as there are documents dating back to 1885 detailing the effects of the conversion to a roller mill towards lowering fire risks.

DUFF-SBK-001_141.jpg

Other than that, not much is know other than it was closed in 1969 and has since become a Grade II listed building. This overall lead to the dissolution of the plans made for the nearly £2,000,000 property.

Exploration​

Once me and my friend had got to the location, we stepped out and into the property, viewing many walking people nearby (all of which didn't seem to care). We started off in getting into the warehouse (apparently an old Car club warehouse?) and then continued on into the main attraction, the mill. Overall, only a small little run-around since the floors and stairs are too sketchy for a behemoth like myself to calmly ascend. If you are local and looking for a calm explore rather than an adrenaline dump, this is your place! Here are the pictures that I took on the way. Enjoy!

And thats all she wrote. Very small place in terms of coverable exploration, sorry I didn't get many of the actual inside mill, wasn't much to see and didn't trust the stairs :/​
like I said before, a really calm trip, if you're local, I highly recommend. Other than that...
Constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!!! happy hunting friends.

Jxck.urbex signing out, Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 32

derelictth92

Has a weak spot for staircases
28DL Full Member
Unsure whether it's just my phone auto brightness playing tricks on me but the images although great seem very under exposed? Other than that looks a good mooch

jxck.urbex

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Unsure whether it's just my phone auto brightness playing tricks on me but the images although great seem very under exposed? Other than that looks a good mooch
Its somewhere between a stylistic choice and the fact my camera and lens aren't very good for low light. None the less duly noted. It really is a great little place!

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
To be honest, until I really got into urbex I'd done little low light photography, let alone ZERO light stuff. Still learning...
Me too, always learning. I need to get the best out of my camera and lens. Hopefully when this virus dies down, some very good urbexers on here are going to teach me a few things ;)

Who has read this thread (Total: 294) View details