real time web analytics
Report - - Megatron Sheffield April 2017 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Megatron Sheffield April 2017

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Torchlight

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
HISTORY
As the history of this classic explore has been covered many times before I will just give a brief history. In the 1800's this area of Sheffield was prone to flooding making the land unusable for industry. Around 1860 The Midland Railway Company bought the rights to the Rivers Sheaf and Porter and enclosed them in culverts allowing the Midland Railway Station to be built above them in 1870. The culverts were extended all the way to the River Don and thus the mighty Megatron was constructed, allowing the industry of Sheffield to thrive with the risk of flooding removed.

THE EXPLORE
Having recently explored and photographed the River Porter culverts all the way to the railway station I thought it was now time to move on to the Sheaf and the Megatron. Entering the system at the Midland Railway Station via the River Porter I headed up stream to the point were the Sheaf first enters the culvert there were some nice brick and stone culverts here not always visited as a lot of people head directly to the Megatron. At this point it sounded like a giant was hammering on the roof above as trains were passing above.

At this point the river entered two culverts a single on the left and a double on the right, I followed the larger double with about 6 inch of water in. It entered a box section then split into three culverts and set the formation for majority of the explore all the way to the Megatron. After passing the familiar spot where the Porter entered there were three fantastic small waterfalls all requiring photographing, then some very old stonework, then a steel section again all needed photographing. By the time you have set up your camera, put all your settings on done your light painting, then tried again a bit longer, each photo can take 5 minutes, its going to be a long explore.

Eventually reached the open section, being a bit wary of small weirs having stepped over one on the river Porter into 5 foot of water I proceeded with caution, I kept to the right hand side but could see this area a problem if water levels were higher.

Massive brick pillars provided the entry to the next section heading under Ponds Forge swimming baths. As the majority of the river was flowing in the left culvert I chose the middle one, I swapped about a bit for different photos then committed to central culvert as the joining arches were bricked up. Some great arched brick roof in this section again all to be photographed.

Finally came out of the central culvert into a massive 12 meter wide culvert made of stone blocks, a impressive feat of Victorian construction. In the distance I could see the light from the outlet into the Don and in between the massive domed brick arch of Megatron, going to be here for a few hours I guess. I walked as far as I could up to the parabolic roof section but the water was getting deeper, I was on my own and new my limits but I did wonder what was beyond the parabolic roof section.
TO BE CONTINUED
*************************************************************************************************
MY PHOTOGRAPHS

RIVER SHEAF ENTERING CULVERT
33631675680_7ccd69a594_b.jpg

DOUBLE CULVERT
33887399201_b625dd8a4a_b.jpg

LEFT HAND WATERFALL
33976003986_f91b10ac78_b.jpg

MIDDLE WATERFALL
34017155055_d093b146be_b.jpg

LEAVING THE STATION AREA
33173778654_3c7d4f4161_b.jpg

OPEN SECTION
33204409753_986bec635f_b.jpg

ENTRY TO NEXT SECTION UNDER PONDS FORGE
34017107745_1e48a3a5ce_b.jpg

LOOKING BACK TO OPEN SECTION
33859684162_2deaee9621_b.jpg

NICE BRICKED ROOF
33204359313_88b1274106_b.jpg

LOOKING BACK UP THREE CULVERTS
33859713132_6aff48cddf_b.jpg

MAGNIFICANT VICTORIAN ENGINEERING
33975921516_a5975161ef_b.jpg

FIRST VIEW OF THE CATHEDRAL
33204400053_e9506ba5b2_b.jpg

CLASSIC MEGATRON CATHEDRAL ROOF
33173707394_bc10ee00c6_b.jpg

NEED A BIG TORCH IN HERE
33887347481_bdbd290e82_b.jpg

WONDER WHATS BEYOND HERE
33887394651_45f8c2f9cf_b.jpg

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Good effort mate, yeah light painting takes a while doesn't it, worth it though for photo's this good, keep at it! Love seeing this come up - it was my first culvert and what a belter it is too

Torchlight

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good effort mate, yeah light painting takes a while doesn't it, worth it though for photo's this good, keep at it! Love seeing this come up - it was my first culvert and what a belter it is too
Hi yes sometimes I might take the same photo 3 or 4 times until I think I ,ve got what I want, then you don,t know for sure until you put it on computer.

Regcar

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fantastic photos, wish you could get some quality shots of Wrexham underground tunnels. Rumours keep on surfacing about a vast network, but hard to get definitive proof. Area was heavily mines, so some could be mining tunnels.

Torchlight

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fantastic photos, wish you could get some quality shots of Wrexham underground tunnels. Rumours keep on surfacing about a vast network, but hard to get definitive proof. Area was heavily mines, so some could be mining tunnels.
Hi been into photography for years but recently got an interest in tunnels and drains so looking into different ways to photograph, familiar with Sheffield but never ventured further may do in future

Torchlight

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Excellent photos!

Myself and that place need to become acquainted...
There are so many photo opportunities down there, each 10-20 meters there is a different photograph, I nearly have to say right just concentrate on these certain areas otherwise I could be down there for hours, hope to have another follow up report on in next week or so.