real time web analytics
Report - - Megatron, Sheffield - August 2010. | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Megatron, Sheffield - August 2010.

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Megatron, Sheffield - Visited By Ojay Woodburner & Aem.

Regretably Thompski couldn't make it

FINALLY! Megatron.... After a number of aborted visits and failed meets over the last 18 months we nearly made it... On a recent visit by Woodburner it had been noted that they are working on repairing a section just beyond the point where the Porter Brook merges with the River Sheaf.

Having not been able to manage access due to the 'Works' we put our last planned visit on hold (AGAIN!). Rewind 3 weeks and another plan was hatched, with myself Thompski & Woodburner meeting up in Sheffield early one Sunday morning (8am to be precise), we couldn't believe our BAD LUCK. Work was being carried out, with around 15 blokes in and out of our access point, FFS I'm begining to wonder if I'm ever gonna get to see this place :(

After a bit more planning we arrived in Sheffield much later, my luck was finally in, nobody on-site. The only comedy here was a bunch of bag heads and a group of people waiting for the bus whilst we accidentally in culverts :D

After a short stoop up the Porter Brook we were greeted with a section of spray crete which merged with the River Sheaf, down we go to see what all the fuss is about.

Further downstream the river quickly divides into 3 sections, here a mix of brick and concrete, then stone (Very cool).

Mend.jpg

We chose the middle tunnel, as it was much drier and easier

Old.jpg

before we stumble upon the 'Works', sadly the lights weren't on so I had to play lighting bitch.

Mppl4.jpg

Work has been ongoing down here for a number of months now, and sadly the rebar is now in place ready for the final application of 'spraycrete'.

TBH this section is crumbling and giving away to the trains and vehicles thundering overhead, so much needed, despite my hate of 'crete'.

Sandbags at 10 paces....

Mbag.jpg

Mspray.jpg

Mbar.jpg

Mtrack1.jpg

After spending a bit of time mooching about in here, we headed out into the open briefly before continuing downstream in search of the main chamber.

Again there are 3 brick/stone tunnels, we headed once again down the middle section, with the Sheaf flowing down the left tunnel

Tun1.jpg

Before eventually joining back up

Spilt.jpg

Once through the other side it appeared to get much deeper, no match for the chesties tho!

Meg1.jpg

Suddenly I could see light at the end of the tunnel, and ahead huge culverty goodness

Megme1.jpg

This is by far the largest section of culvert I have ever experienced, the main chamber is Hooj and only to be matched by Manchester's Optimus Prime

Megme2.jpg

Looking back from the other side

Massive.jpg

Ahead, I can see the light... followed by more crete and deep water (Gulp).

Megacrete.jpg

Finally thanks to Woodburner for his patience, although he has been here many times before he seems to have developed this strange drain0r ritual :D

WB.jpg

Thanks for looking, Props to Woodburner & Aem for LOL's and lighting bitcheZ :thumb

WB

28DL Wood Burner
28DL Full Member
Haha, comedy shot at the end. Ace!

Was a great night all round, time seems to slip when in Megatron, think it was a record 2 and a half hours on this trip, but time well spent even though i've done it a few times now. :)

Some of my shots, didn't take many as i've done it to death really...

Hellraiser in ur culvert?

IMG_1341.jpg

Fucking nasty on the ankles, but pretty architecture.

IMG_1333.jpg

Just about to reach the kick ass brick arch....

IMG_1331.jpg

Has to be done. :thumb

IMG_1323-1.jpg

...and finally, while Ojay was busy being culvert paparazzi I got some sneaky shots using his lighting...

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

The best lighting bitches are unaware they are being lighting bitches! :D

WB.

Meersbrook

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Quite some pictures there
haha, try getting in at the Blonk Street end, please please! :D If you manage it we want photographic evidence! :thumb

Here's a tip, from that end you'd need a boat. :crazy Have a look around the railway station. :thumb
S6002325.gif

I have to agree, row-row-row your boat.

Im begging people for a bigger clue on this location :P please fellow explorers please :( x
You know where the river ends, you should be able to retrace its course to where the tunnels and culverts begin.

Have any of you thought about going in here:
Image linky
I'l let you guess which drain this is. Oh, I said drain? Maybe it isn't a drain..

Who has read this thread (Total: 5) View details