real time web analytics
Report - - Megatron, Sheffield - August 2014 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Megatron, Sheffield - August 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

super nerris

On A Mission....
28DL Full Member
Finally managed to dig the waders out and take some time out to pay a much need visit to Sheffield's Megatron.

A friend and I decided to enter the Porter Brook via the outskirts of the centre and had a steady walk down. We'd not anticipated how long this would take, the sunshine on the way down made it that much more inviting though.

After stumbling over many a rock and nearly breaking my neck on a couple of occasions we finally made it to the entrance.

We had a good walk round and made it all the way to the other side before cracking on with some shots, I think we lost a few hours down there but was great fun and really enjoyed our first Draining explore.

History:

Deep underneath Sheffield city centre - below Park Hill, the train station and Ponds Forge - three rivers meet in a Victorian-engineered subterranean cathedral, built to protect the city from devastating floods.

A soaring arc of brick, these huge vaulted tunnels were built in the 1860s as culverts and storm drains for the Sheaf, Don and Porter Brook rivers. They converge in the middle of Sheffield and after heavy rain they would frequently flood the centre of the young industrial city in the nineteenth century.

On with the shots......

Hope you all enjoy:)

_DSC1412_zps8c53f3c9.jpg

_DSC1417_zps8bf4b125.jpg

_DSC1424_zps6bc26a69.jpg

_DSC1432_zps938a28d1.jpg

_DSC1447_zps502e18c8.jpg

_DSC1452_zps6be704f6.jpg

_DSC1454_zps5b9f6238.jpg

_DSC1456_zpsb476bcee.jpg

Thanks for looking:)

Until next time................

Last edited:

Marsden1002

Love it!
28DL Full Member
Some good shots! Not seen some of those places,most just post the walk down to tron and the arches!

Ojay

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Nicely captured, some interesting feature changes on offer with Megatron, never tire of seeing peoples take on the place :thumb

super nerris

On A Mission....
28DL Full Member
Thanks for your comments guys, did enjoy having a mooch round down there. Some of the features are great found myself looking more at the roof than where I was going, not a good idea haha

Idle Hands

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Never really been inspired to go draining but this makes me curious to try in the future... nice shots :thumb

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Another invite lost In the post then I see ;)

Nice ones mate ;) :thumb

I thought I was the only local one left to do this..... Now I must be lol

JaneEyre

The clumsiest explorer in Yorkshire!
28DL Full Member
when i eventually find waders big enough i am so going on a wander down here, the photos you have posted are gorgeous :) x

super nerris

On A Mission....
28DL Full Member
Another invite lost In the post then I see ;)

Nice ones mate ;) :thumb

I thought I was the only local one left to do this..... Now I must be lol

Thanks mate, I can't believe it took me this long to do it. :)

when i eventually find waders big enough i am so going on a wander down here, the photos you have posted are gorgeous :) x

Thanks luv, yes waders are a must It gets real deep in some places, prob not so bad for you guys but I'm a midget haha, mine were more like head waders than chest waders lol
:D

Who has read this thread (Total: 1) View details