real time web analytics
Report - - Megatron, Sheffield, July , 2021 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Megatron, Sheffield, July , 2021

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Did megatron 7 years ago all the way from Endcliffe park to the big chamber at the end have never posted it because i ended up going for an unplanned swim at the end trying to get out at the very end ! did get some pics but water and cameras is not a good mix ! had mentioned before about a return visit and my 2 cousins and his son were very keen on joining me also not wanting to miss out on the fun my brother also reluctantly agreed to come parking up one sunday morning on sidney street the culvert is even easier than ever to access as a result of the recent landscaped area installed by the council . This is the start point for the guided tours that are scheduled to restart in september, at the rear of radio sheffield ,providing them with torches and wooden poles the 5 of us set of .

tightest bit of the explore

approaching the start point the only thing that had changed was a bit more greenery

inside the twin tunnels we kept right

after coming to the end of the twin section tunnels we met up with the river sheaf ( were sheffield gets its name from ) we turned right here and had a wander upstream

the infall of the sheaf , it was at this point that the battery in my camera died ! i couldnt believe it :banghead after this point all the photos were taken by my cousins lad on his iphone thankfully he saved the day with some great snaps

we now ventured downstream towards the main chamber

the middle tunnel of the 3 tunnels was bone dry !

approaching the open air section just before ponds forge swimming baths

open air bit ,them wooden curtain poles sure came in handy :D

view upstream we about turned and went back out the way we came in ( no trying to navigate over the vier this time lol )

well with the exception of the camera battery dying a good time was had by all think everyone enjoyed it even my brother who was very sceptical about the whole drain malarky nice to see crazyness is alive and well in the family think i have found my perfect vocation as a megatron tour guide lol thanks for watching :thumb

anubis

28" Member
28DL Full Member
In image 3 there is a small chequered sign fixed to the pillar to your left, I have seen those before.
Aren't they what architects use to measure if there is any movement in structures or am I wrong sorry?
Great report, crisp pics.

tallginge

more tall than ginger tho.....
Regular User
Aren't they what architects use to measure

I'd be surprised if an architect would go down megatron. They're better suited to offices, computers, meetings etc. Might be used by surveyors or engineers as reference points to set up their equipment or as you say to check for movement

jezzyboo

28DL Regular User
Regular User
In image 3 there is a small chequered sign fixed to the pillar to your left, I have seen those before.
Aren't they what architects use to measure if there is any movement in structures or am I wrong sorry?
im not sure what it is but im guessing its something to do with the railway bridge maybee a survey mark ?

danensis

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Isn't it a very faded "Limited Clearance" sign as used on the railway?

Who has read this thread (Total: 217) View details