real time web analytics
Report - - Megatron, Sheffield - June and July 2015 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Megatron, Sheffield - June and July 2015

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
“Deep underneath Sheffield City Centre – below Park Hill, the train station and Ponds Forge – three rivers meet in a Victorian-engineered subterranean cathedral, built to protect the city from devastating floods”.

Megatron, as most people now know is a large underground storm drain, which was constructed in the mid-1800s. The land on which Sheffield Midland Station was built in 1870, alongside various cutlers and silversmiths, was originally marshy and insalubrious, owing to the Porter Brook and the River Sheaf which run through that part of the city, and for this reason it was prone to regular flooding. To create solid foundations both rivers were partially covered; these drains would then frequently flood after heavy rains, protecting the rest of the growing industrial city of Sheffield. The manipulation of the rivers also served to benefit various mills and steel factories which required large quantities of water to function. The tunnel system remained a hidden secret for many years; a mysterious rumour amongst the general public since only a few Yorkshire Water engineers ever went down there. In an effort to keep the rest of society out of the system the rumour was reportedly extended, to convince everyone that full respiratory equipment was required if anyone ever desired to enter into the depths.

We first entered Megatron many years ago, but since we had neither the camera equipment, nor the skills to use any such gear in complete darkness, we were only able to take a couple of shots of the entrances and open air sections of the system with a cheap little compact camera. We revisited a couple of times as we attempted to explore all of Sheffield’s underground wonders, and after that we simply forgot all about them up until now. This report is made up of two visits because, as I’ve discovered, light painting well takes a reasonable amount of time and patience.

The first trip began on an exceptionally sunny day, after myself and ACID-REFLUX has arranged an afternoon in Megatron. We started some distance away from the main section, but it was good to see some of the older brickwork that is located over that way, and we stayed down there for several hours or so. A special shout to ACID is necessary here, since I gained many good tips around how to take shots in absolute darkness. Without that I imagine my shots would be far less detailed than they’ve turned out.

We arranged a second trip some weeks later, and myself, ACID-REFULX and Ford Mayhem all revisited one evening after work. Since Sheffield had experienced some rain earlier that week the water was slightly deeper than it had been on our previous visit, but it was certainly not enough to prevent us from returning. The three of us plodded along in the darkness, with waders squeaking and someone’s swimming shorts rustling, right up to the other end where the system meets the River Don. This end section was filled with bats, and it was fascinating to see them nesting in parts of the brickwork and sweeping the surface of the water inside the tunnel. Soon after that, we resurfaced and, after a quick bite to eat, quickly made plans to explore one of the many cranes that have been erected in Sheffield City Centre. Experiencing Sheffield from all angles in one day was a good end to the evening.

Explored with Ford Mayhem and ACID-REFLUX.

And So it Begins...

1:

WildBoyz3_zpsalshzpds.jpg

2:

WildBoyz5_zpshaqxguu0.jpg

3:

WildBoyz10_zpsdywowe9y.jpg

4:

WildBoyz8-2_zpsxvjjscwx.jpg

The Entrance

5:

WildBoyz11_zpsbztlnlx9.jpg

6:

WildBoyz14_zpsvpzb55p6.jpg

The First Section

7:

WildBoyz15_zpsk0o0gfik.jpg

8:

WildBoyz20-3_zpsibijrdvf.jpg

9:

WildBoyz22_zpsmcjvdpef.jpg

10:

WildBoyz24_zpsuwmhmexh.jpg

11:

WildBoyz33_zpseryreewu.jpg

12:

WildBoyz36_zpstbv3hpbx.jpg

13:

WildBoyz40_zpsrrqbw6t6.jpg

14:

WildBoyz44_zpsqjbbohdf.jpg

15:

WildBoyz53_zpsipchzfjl.jpg

16:

WildBoyz55_zpssvtjnpjr.jpg

17:

WildBoyz61_zpsxqu29fzs.jpg

18:

WildBoyz63_zps82s5cxvp.jpg

19:

WildBoyz67_zpshgvbi0tb.jpg

Open-air Section

20:

WildBoyz59_zpsrzskyf4u.jpg

The Second Section

21:

WildBoyz71_zpsjftuguzt.jpg

22:

WildBoyz74_zpsetvk5090.jpg

The Batcave and the 'Cathedral'

23:

WildBoyz77_zps8wadguq5.jpg

24:

WildBoyz80_zps6d9aixj1.jpg

25:

WildBoyz81_zpshddsymlb.jpg

26:

WildBoyz85_zpsrpctcy7d.jpg

27:

WildBoyz88_zpsay05eg4n.jpg

The Return Journey

28:

WildBoyz90_zpswo933ga5.jpg

29:

WildBoyz94_zpsdp6xz2wt.jpg

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
:thumb Nicely done young man they're not half bad at all ;)

Nice to meet up again with you both .
Thanks for the mention BTW the cheques in the post ;)

To be fair it is a pig to light up properly in here, I don't know why as I've done plenty of more challenging Tunnels that have come out brighter . Hence the new Torches as you know and I'm still not happy with the result yet.

I'll stick a pick of Ford up in his shorts tonight, I just wonder what'll happen when Hawaiian shirt meets Bermuda shorts lol

Same time next week then for the abseil in ;)

WildBoyz

Is this the future?
28DL Full Member
:thumb Nicely done young man they're not half bad at all ;)

Nice to meet up again with you both .
Thanks for the mention BTW the cheques in the post ;)

To be fair it is a pig to light up properly in here, I don't know why as I've done plenty of more challenging Tunnels that have come out brighter . Hence the new Torches as you know and I'm still not happy with the result yet.

I'll stick a pick of Ford up in his shorts tonight, I just wonder what'll happen when Hawaiian shirt meets Bermuda shorts lol

Same time next week then for the abseil in ;)

No worries mate. Haha, cheque is in the post :thumb

Those really dark sections full of rubble were the most difficult bits I think. My torch didn't do much down in that bit.

Could do some abseiling next week like. Shoulder up for it?

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Bugger forgot about that......looks like I'll be watching U2; )

Yeah it's asking a lot of a Torch too light this place up properly .
It'll be filledd in by the time I get round to posting
nice stuff, :thumb
the waters very low, twice as deep on my visit.

Twice as deep :eek:....... so it was over your head then was it ?.....any pics of your underwater explore or it didn"t happen ;)

Will Knot

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Awesome pics mate....still on my 'to do' list of explores......;)

Great to see...........thanks for sharin' :thumb