real time web analytics
Report - - Methill Power Station 13/07/08 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Methill Power Station 13/07/08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rookinella

I should have danced all night
28DL Full Member
Visited with Turkey, Dweeb and Speed.

We weren't actually sure how to pronounce this one so it was always a mixture of Meeeeeethil, Methhhhhilll or Mettttthill. I saw this as a smaller, more dirty version of Inverkip although I think I still enjoyed Inverkip more. Getting in and out got my heart racing a lot. I don't know why it was so nerve-wracking but I think we were all on edge the whole time so we didn't spend ages looking around.

Wikipedia doing its stuff:

Methil Power Station is a small coal-fired power station in the town of Methil, Fife, Scotland, where the River Leven meets the Firth of Forth.

This station is now closed and awaits demolition as part of a regeneration of this area.

The power station consisted of 2 x 30 MW generation units for a peak rating of 57 MWe and was commissioned in 1965 for the then South of Scotland Electricity Board (SSEB). Built on the site of a golf course it was constructed to utilise low-grade coal-slurry supplied from the washeries of the nearby Fife coalfield, delivered by means of merry-go-round trains. As the Scottish coalfields were exhausted or abandoned in the mid-1980s, waste accumulated in coal bings (coal tips) was utilised as a fuel. In common with all other power stations in Scotland it lacks cooling towers; instead using sea water as coolant.

This station was built as a sister to Barony power station on the West Coast of Scotland, in Ayrshire. Methil and Barony helped to clear much of the coal bings around Scotland by burning the coal waste. However, as the bings latterly disappeared, operations ceased due to lack of coal-slurry fuel and uneconomical operation of such small facilities. Although the design of Methil was based on that of Barony, it incorporated many improvements.

In the late 1990s it was used to test 'clean coal' technology using one modified 30 MW boiler.

On with the pics!

DSC_0354copy-600.jpg

DSC_0360copy-600.jpg

DSC_0363copy-600.jpg

DSC_0373copy-600.jpg

DSC_0375copy-600.jpg

DSC_0379copy-600.jpg

DSC_0388copy-600.jpg

DSC_0393-600.jpg

DSC_0396copy-600.jpg

DSC_0401-600.jpg

DSC_0348copy-600.jpg