real time web analytics
Report - - Metropolitan Water Board Tunnel - London | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Metropolitan Water Board Tunnel - London

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Stitch

SWC
28DL Full Member
Metropolitan Water Board Tunnel

303t.jpg

There is not much about this tunnel online history-wise or anything else-wise really, so here is what I do know about it. It was constructed by the Metropolitan Water Board and carries a water main from one side of the Thames, to the other. Unfortunately this is all I can be sure of, I have no idea of the construction date or any other information about the tunnel other than these photos. It is not the tunnel with the fairy style headhouses in Twickenham, even though it does look very similar. If anyone else manages to find out any more info I would be very interested!

302t.jpg

So on with my experience.

I visited this tunnel on a rainy night when the Thames was flowing fast and high, and my exploring partner was sure she saw a seal in the Thames! We hopped into the compound and set about finding entry. A nice large metal door opened with a slight tug and the smell of musty old air rushed out. Stepping into the shaft you have the ladder leading down on your immediate left, and a walkway that runs around the top on your right. A control panel illuminates the shaft partially and the sound of dripping water is ever-present. Directly in front a handrail is all that’s between you and the 20 meter drop to the bottom of the shaft. The shaft itself is of brick construction, which makes me think it is on the older side rather than more recent and the ladders leading down to the bottom vary between newer steel caged ladders and black iron ladders.

Stalactite City 2.jpg

Looking up the shaft

At the bottom of the shaft 4 large pipes shoot down a dark circular tunnel. The tunnel is split in half with a Kennedy grating walkway stretching into the darkness. A rusty old lifting beam runs along the top of the tunnel, it definitely doesn’t look like it’s been used in a while!
Shining my torch down the tunnel I couldn’t see the end, so we pressed on into the unknown. On most of the tunnel rings there are Stalactites forming, some grow straight down and others take on a more twirly stance. We paused for a moment to appreciate the fact we were underneath the Thames and that tonnes on tonnes of water was flowing above our heads.

Stalactite City 3.jpg

Looking down the tunnel

At the other end of the tunnel, it is much the same. A combination of new steel ladder and old iron leads to the top of the shaft, although this time the depth is only around 15 meters deep. The shaft again is made of brick and on this side of the tunnel water is actually flowing smoothly down the bricks into the base of the shaft below the walkway. I set up my tripod and tried to take some photos, but I only had my 35mm lens with me for this trip, a wider angle lens would have been better.

Stalactite City 4.jpg

After a few shots we decided to call it a night, we were both soaking wet and cold and eager not to outstay our welcome in this location. So back under the Thames, and I packed my gear away at the bottom of the shaft. Up the ladders and into the night air once again, a successful mission and a pleasant evening.

Stalactite City 5.jpg

Until Next Time.

Graithen

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Yo, this looks amazing! How deep under the thames would you say it is? Had to be a reasonable climb down right?

Who has read this thread (Total: 221) View details