real time web analytics
Report - - Micheldever oil terminal - July 2012 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Micheldever oil terminal - July 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Zotez

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with True British Metal, certainly an interesting explore!

The day started with a long train journey but after rushing to Greggs for a sausage roll things got off to a good start! This place is certainly not somewhere for those who wish to stay clean - expect to get absolutely caked in chalk. Access to the site is easy which is contrasted by the fact that getting to the fuel depot certainly isn't! There is also a live rail line running adjacent to the site and a train station all of which made for an edgy explore. There isn't much to trash but what was there has been smashed. This seems like the local chav/smackhead hangout and the strong smell of diesel left me feeling light headed and sick afterwards. All in all good fun.

History is limited and the site gave no clues as to its age. Online sources state that the site dates back to WW2 and closed in 1995. The "Made in England" stamps on much of the machinery certainly points to an era when Britain was much more prominent in manufacture which was nice! There has even been a book written about an oil spillage here in 1983. What I can also say is that Micheldever as a place is totally dead - a few scattered houses but I assume the life left the town around 1995 also. We must have seen less than half a dozen people all day.

I apologise if the photos are not up to scratch - the tunnels inside this place were pitch black so photographing was a problem! Of the two or so hours we spent here I'd say about half the time was spent waiting for the camera to finish exposures. Take a tripod!

A selection of photographs:

c1fb2c85.jpg

The only time I saw the whole room was in this photo, torches are certainly necessary!

f402155f.jpg

984b9ddd.jpg

1a926a20.jpg

9823ee13.jpg

6c559a6e.jpg

e77b69d1.jpg

77750840.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my report, if you could find the time to reply with a comment or critisicsm I would appreciate it!

Thanks!