real time web analytics
Report - - Mid Wales Hospital, Talgarth - April 2023 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mid Wales Hospital, Talgarth - April 2023

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Wanderingfool

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited this place on the way back from the asylum in north Wales (report to come soon), after driving back from the north Wales asylum, I had the burning desire to stay there for a night time visit, but luckily coming here satisfied my need for exploration!

Getting in was easy enough, I was being inconspicuous by walking up and down the road (publicly accessible) and taking photos of the outside as I'd noticed a guy in a blue van driving up and down and slowing down as he was going past me. My suspicious were confirmed when I saw a couple climb over the fence out of the hospital, I stopped to have a chat with them, when the guy in the van pulled up and shouted at them 'What are you doing in our buildings you bastards!' :D ah that cracked me up.

I walked up and down, still just looking like I was just going to stay on the outside when blue van man pulled up next to me and started complaining about the couple. I just said I can't blame them for wanting to go inside due to natural curiosity of which he then exclaimed that they must be bloody mad! Safe to say he probably assumed I would try to get in. He started sealing the fence where the couple jumped over, I waited for him to leave and found another ingress further down the road. I can confirm other reports where he has smothered sheep crap over the open windows, but luckily for me, I found another way in.

I can understand why they don't want people going in due to the decrepit nature of the building, so I avoided any second floor due to most of it crumbling away.

Inside I was treated to long dark corridors being taken over by vegetation, ceilings and walls decayed and crumbling and windows covered in vines that were very photogenic. The complex itself was larger than I thought when looking from the outside, so it took me a good couple hours of having a ganders around whilst getting some photos. Ran into no trouble whilst inside and I made a stealthy exit when leaving. There's no original equipment left but I still got a nice feeling of what it once was inside, even though most of it was falling to pieces!

I'm just getting back into photography after many years away (I've only a Nikon D3100 but she does the job), so I apologise for some poorly exposed shots and deliberately grainy ones (I wanted to make them feel spooky). Also, I didn't get any full shots from the outside, as I've only got a 35mm prime lens which is no good for any wide shots, I need a wide angle lens...one day!

DSC_6841.JPG

CSC_7161.JPG

DSC_6821.JPG

DSC_6845.JPG

DSC_6851.JPG

DSC_6855.JPG

DSC_6856.JPG

DSC_6874.JPG

DSC_6894.JPG

DSC_6897.JPG

DSC_6903.JPG

DSC_6910.JPG

DSC_6914.JPG

DSC_6916.JPG

DSC_6917.JPG

DSC_6927.JPG

DSC_6928.JPG

DSC_6933.JPG

DSC_6944.JPG

DSC_6951.JPG

DSC_6954.JPG

DSC_6959.JPG

DSC_6975.JPG

DSC_6978.JPG

DSC_6981.JPG

DSC_6991.JPG

DSC_6995.JPG

DSC_7019.JPG

DSC_7007.JPG

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Nothing wrong with shooting on primes. Narrower focal lenses make you think more of what you’re shooting. I often shoot with a 65mm macro lens as well as the wide.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
If that's your first report that's a banger, nice bit of description of the trip and great photos. We're used to seeing wides so it's nice to see some prime lens shots. Well done for surviving Mad Merv and his sheep shit 👌

Wanderingfool

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
If that's your first report that's a banger, nice bit of description of the trip and great photos. We're used to seeing wides so it's nice to see some prime lens shots. Well done for surviving Mad Merv and his sheep shit 👌
Cheers for the kind words! It's kind of my first report (I uploaded 3 in quick succession, finally got a usb card reader!) Am looking forward to some more explores now that summer is here

Wanderingfool

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nothing wrong with shooting on primes. Narrower focal lenses make you think more of what you’re shooting. I often shoot with a 65mm macro lens as well as the wide.
Couldn't agree more actually, my switch to using prime has really made me think about my positioning...that macro lens does sound tempting, I've wanted one for ages.

Seffy

Staff member
like the style of photos :) the way nature is reclaiming these buildings is fantastic

Fuzzball

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
dsc_6856-jpg.jpg

This is what's it about for me - views and shots like this: gorgeous natural overgrowth consuming attractive or striking features. Love the delicate reflections on the glass. I think the grain works for this site.

Very atmospheric report! It really conveys the grungy, chaotic vibes of Talgarth and the closing darkness as the site turns to dust.
It's a bizarre explore really, a complete derp with dumb graffiti but its scale, the stone and brick and pretty ivy growing everywhere makes it a worthwhile trip. That and the hall, boilers, and the two wards which are recognisably county-asylum and provide some relief/historical context from the incomprehensible jumble the site is. Talgarth on the whole reminds me of the wrecks of Lusitania or the Andria Doria - mostly just scattered decay with the odd recognisable feature.

Scoobysrt

Teim scoobs
28DL Full Member
I took my parents to the mill down the road a few months ago and thought I would have a drive up on the way home, I took them up the road to the turnaround and came back but didn't get out.
I decided it was too far gone for me to leave them waiting outside with the chance of a run in with nob head in his van but was wondering if the chapel is accessible as most reports seem to miss it out.

Who has read this thread (Total: 179) View details