real time web analytics
Report - - Middleton Hospital, Ilkley - March 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Middleton Hospital, Ilkley - March 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Anark

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hello all!

I've been lurking around 28DL for a few years now but I've finally decided to get involved!

The hospital is located just outside of the town of Ilkley in West Yorkshire, not too far from Leeds & Bradford.

There doesn't seem to be a great deal of information on this place but from what I can gather it opened around the time of the First World War as a military hospital then becoming a TB hospital and finally a geriatric facility (my parents both had grandparents here).

It closed in the early 1990's and most of the buildings were demolished with the exception of the nurses accommodation (now in use as a school next to the site), a lodge, the staff social club, an admin block and what appears to be a sub-station.

Recently it has been the subject of a number of redevelopment plans. In 2005 the site was purchased with the intention of it becoming an 'eco-village' but this was rejected by the local planning authorities. It was then supposedly earmarked for use as a 'residential institution’ with the remaining buildings supposedly to be refurbished (good luck with that!). More recently it has been announced that a 'traditional style country house' was to be built on the site but that 'building work must be halted if unexpected contamination is found in the ground' - This is a reference to the long standing rumours that the ground is still contaminated with TB...

The site has remained in more or less the same state for a number of years now but on my visit there was evidence of recent earth moving activity, maybe something is finally about to happen?

Anyway, without further ado...

The Staff Social Club

IMG_1883editnodhr.jpg

View of the stage

IMG_1894editnodhr-1.jpg

And from the stage

IMG_1906edit-1.jpg

From the projection room

IMG_1926edit.jpg

IMG_1916edit.jpg

The Admin Block

IMG_1940edit-1.jpg

Inside

IMG_1948edit.jpg

There are still many paths around the site, complete with lampposts..

IMG_1981edit.jpg

Many years ago this would have been the main entrance/reception

IMG_1972edit.jpg

Hope you enjoyed these :)

Just as a footnote, it's interesting to see the difference just a few years makes, compared to this set from 2009 - Linky
(all credit to the original photographers).

Last edited:

MSP

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey Anark, Welcome and nice first report :thumb Wouldn't want to walk under that big hanging metal thing :eek:

keep it up mate.

Anark

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks :) Needless to say I avoided walking anywhere near that metal thing!

Melissa Jade Kelly

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Hey Anark! You're brave to have been standing on the stage too! Everything looks so worn! Terrific report might I add :)