real time web analytics
Report - - Middleton Mine Derbyshire - January 2022 | Mines and Quarries | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Middleton Mine Derbyshire - January 2022

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Mr Budge

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Brief History

Middleton mine spans around 26 miles of tunnels across 3 working levels. From the 18th Century until the end of World War 2, Middleton Quarry produced high quality limestone capable of taking surface polish, for use in monuments and other ornamental products. After declining demand for such products the quarry began to switch its production to powders, grits and filters for use in the steel, glass, asphalt and sugar refining industries. Stone was extracted by underground blasting and passed through a primary crusher before being transported to the surface by dump trucks for further processing.
In the 1980s at the side of the hill below Ryder Point Works Part of the tunnel collapsed leaving a noticeable depression in the ground above on the eastern side of Middleton Moor.

Explore

Had this place on the radar from quite sometime so when the opportunity came i managed to get myself down there, visited here numerous times over a few weeks and managed see the bits we wanted to such as the jig, blue door, all three entrances and the conveyors which did not disappoint.

The jig is still owned by PDMHS and there was plans to rescue it but with ownership of the quarry changing this never happend, We managed to explore the old lead mines hidden here which were a treat and some in quite impressive condition considering the age of them.

The final visit we decided to make the most of and spent around 7 hours here, the plan was to dump a dingy by the flooded levels then have a paddle on the way out but by this time the thought of inflating a dingy with a hand pump sailing and then packing away couldnt sound worse so we passed on that.

By this point it seemed the word truly got out as there were groups with a boombox, toddlers and dogs running round the place felt more like a day out into pooles cavern more than anything, The place is now sealed. (did try and warn someone with there dog off the lead about the 20+m shafts dotted about but got ignored)

Explored with @MotionlessMike and some caving buddies

part of the major collapse.

one of the flooded levels we was planning on having a paddle in

Heard that this car used to get driven around the place

a rogue conveyor belt

PDMHS jig

Hopton side entrance

Had a shock when i sat down on this ledge for a drink and looked over to see a row of around 10 teddy bears

Middleton side quarry entrance

calcified tube ft shadow man ft an impailed teddy on spike

Bugsuperstar

Irresponsible & Reckless
Regular User
Some cracking shots there. Nice to see this place pop up again.

I wonder if my coat is still down there, I never did find one to replace it that I liked quite as much.

DaveFM

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The water is quite low in these pictures, in the past its been about twice as high by the look of the 'tide marks' on the walls.

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
superbly reported, its one I have wanted to do for ages. cant believe someone would let a dog run around down there crazy!

Rgsltd

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This was one of my first big explores years back. I got collard by security a couple of year ago as I walked the footpath telling me not to go inside,I told him I'd already been inside and wasn't interested in going back in. Anyway working in the area last week so thought I'd pop up and see what had changed the 3 main entrances are sealed tight and have alarm box's on but did find some old vehicles in the quarry I can't remember seeing last time

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Fab images. That place is the nuts. Caverns everywhere. Opening shot a cracker. Like this a lot. :thumb

tarmacsam

28DL Member
28DL Member
Brief History

Middleton mine spans around 26 miles of tunnels across 3 working levels. From the 18th Century until the end of World War 2, Middleton Quarry produced high quality limestone capable of taking surface polish, for use in monuments and other ornamental products. After declining demand for such products the quarry began to switch its production to powders, grits and filters for use in the steel, glass, asphalt and sugar refining industries. Stone was extracted by underground blasting and passed through a primary crusher before being transported to the surface by dump trucks for further processing.
In the 1980s at the side of the hill below Ryder Point Works Part of the tunnel collapsed leaving a noticeable depression in the ground above on the eastern side of Middleton Moor.

Explore

Had this place on the radar from quite sometime so when the opportunity came i managed to get myself down there, visited here numerous times over a few weeks and managed see the bits we wanted to such as the jig, blue door, all three entrances and the conveyors which did not disappoint.

The jig is still owned by PDMHS and there was plans to rescue it but with ownership of the quarry changing this never happend, We managed to explore the old lead mines hidden here which were a treat and some in quite impressive condition considering the age of them.

The final visit we decided to make the most of and spent around 7 hours here, the plan was to dump a dingy by the flooded levels then have a paddle on the way out but by this time the thought of inflating a dingy with a hand pump sailing and then packing away couldnt sound worse so we passed on that.

By this point it seemed the word truly got out as there were groups with a boombox, toddlers and dogs running round the place felt more like a day out into pooles cavern more than anything, The place is now sealed. (did try and warn someone with there dog off the lead about the 20+m shafts dotted about but got ignored)

Explored with @MotionlessMike and some caving buddies

part of the major collapse.

one of the flooded levels we was planning on having a paddle in

Heard that this car used to get driven around the place

a rogue conveyor belt

PDMHS jig

Hopton side entrance

Had a shock when i sat down on this ledge for a drink and looked over to see a row of around 10 teddy bears

Middleton side quarry entrance

calcified tube ft shadow man ft an impailed teddy on spike

During a bad winter in the 70s we at Tarmac would park all our lorries in the mine, a weird but awesome experience.

Who has read this thread (Total: 317) View details