real time web analytics
Report - - Milford TB hospital, Surrey 2014 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Milford TB hospital, Surrey 2014

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Firstly, thanks to ' Longhairshitjob' for the intel and also the history further down.
I had my eye on this for a while but it was always sealed good and tight.
Now the demolition is well under way, access is stupidly easy. The main thing to avoid is eye contact from people working in and visiting the small live section of the hospital.
The place is exceedingly aged and pretty uninspiring. The kitchen/hall block was quite pleasing to the eye though.
The big 'admin' block was rather a disappointment.
This place would make a great starter for anyone who wanted to try this for the first time as it was bright, and easy.

The Foundation Stone for Milford Hospital, in its original form as a TB Sanatorium, was laid in May 1927 by Col. The Lord Ashcombe CB., TD., the Lord Lieutenant of the County. The Sanatorium was officially opened, by the Rt Hun Neville Chamberlain MP, Minister of Health on 20th June 1928

The story of Milford Hospital really stares in 1911 with Parliament passing the 'National Insurance (Treatment of Tuberculosis) Act`. This gave power to, and urged Local Authorities, to concern themselves with a disease which than accounted for some 65,000 deaths per annum and even those in medical care had only a one in five chance of recovery.

The story of Milford is to the greatest credit of Surrey County Council and one in which the County can take the greatest pride. In response to this Act in 1911 Surrey County Council purchased 110 acres of land, between Tuesley Lane and the Southern Railway line, from the Sattenham Estate at a cost of £8,234 for the purpose of establishing a TB Sanatorium. However, World War I intervened and development had to be postponed, Following the trauma of the War, Local Authorities could direct their attention to domestic affairs and ʻTBʻ again became a priority.

The War had devastated a generation; young widows were aplenty and the birth rate was negligible. A flu epidemic struck in the early 1920’s and the birth rate fell to the point of National Survival. At that time, TB was the most consistent killer disease upon which an assault could be made. Medical research and Local Authorities responsibilities were directed to this end and Surrey responded.

In the 1920's, Surrey County Councils sanatarium sub-committee found it a duty to implement their pre—War decisions, endorsed by the full Council, and the land was available. Sydney Tattle, FRIBA was appointed Architect and the Building Contract awarded to Chapman, Lower and Peptic Ltd. The final cost was £155,000

m2_zps4669480f.jpg

m13_zps1cc1f4d6.jpg

m1_zps61b4c918.jpg

m14_zps310e387a.jpg

m3_zps91a669d1.jpg

m4_zpsda1e6d1d.jpg

m5_zpsb6408e84.jpg

m6_zps85401517.jpg

m7_zps6d68e86c.jpg

m8_zpse91008bf.jpg

m9_zps8d24eac0.jpg

m10_zpsb2dcc594.jpg

m11_zps0d877c46.jpg

m12_zpse87e74b9.jpg

ma1_zps589c4148.jpg

ma4_zps53eaa56a.jpg

ma3_zps787fe99f.jpg

ma2_zps5ef0e180.jpg

The Kwan

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Some nice ariel shots here, I am seriously thinking about a quadcopter. Cheers for the report.

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
cheers. tbh, they are just one of those things....you crave it and think you 'need' one, but after short while it becomes somewhat boring and everyday

ZerO81

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Some really nice shots there, looks like a quality place.

Does your tripod suffer from 'one leg shorter than the others' syndrome at times ;)

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
Some really nice shots there, looks like a quality place.

Does your tripod suffer from 'one leg shorter than the others' syndrome at times ;)

Yeah, as per usual, I was having a nightmare with my dratted tripod. Pics 9,10 are damage I did as I was frantically trying to level it off. That computer was switched on before I started wrestling with my 3 legger.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Liking these a lot:thumb

And especially the aerial views as it puts everything into perspective, and more benefit for us than Google Earth :D

Agree with the easily bored bit with the Quads. Although i don"t fly FPV i find it hard to imagine exactly what the Gopro sees.....obviously why i need FPV lol
I have 2 Phantom P2"s and after humping my DSLR stuff about all day i can"t be arsed to dig out the Quad out of it"s massive case with all it"s spares etc. I"d need a bigger car boot :)

Plus i"m always scared of it coming down above enemy lines :eek:

Should really sell at least one of them only flown @12 times ....Boys Toys lol

Last edited:

zombizza

Sore Knee
Regular User
I have 2 Phantom P2"s and after humping my DSLR stuff about all day i can"t be arsed to dig out the Quad out of it"s massive case with all it"s spares etc. I"d need a bigger car boot
ill have to show you the light weight rucksack I made for 50 quid.
It carries my phantom, dslr, 2 lenses, tripod and other stuff really easily. I take the whole lot with me in one go for all my adventures now. It's a classic case of only being any use if you have it with you.

ACID- REFLUX

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Was looking around for a similar Backpack via the usual Phantom Forum posts and then the Quadcopters one came out for @ £120 ?
But i"ve not even used the Quads for @7 weeks now or used the Forums TBH i must have a short attention span lol Pity cos i upgraded both P2"s to Futaba 8J"s & RX"s.

That said i always fancied filming Asylums, soon to change hopefully. Certainly beat my current Youtube test attempts :)

I can"t run far & it restrict"s my climbing with all my Camera gear never mind adding a P2 into the bag :eek:

Sorry off Track