real time web analytics
Report - - Mobil Blending Plant - Birkenhead - August 11 (pic heavy) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mobil Blending Plant - Birkenhead - August 11 (pic heavy)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

m9

big in japan
Regular User
Visited with Xan, ex0, tweek and Kromax

mobil35.jpg

The last time I heard anything of Mobil at Birkenhead was a bit of a kerfuffle Xan, ex0 and the_kwan had with some scrap collectors, which somehow ended in a disappearing act down an bottomless pit of waste oil… So, I figured, as long as we were prepared for a fight and watched our step we should be in for some serious pipey treats. What we got though, was quite a bit more than just a bit of pipe pr0n.
Me and tweek rocked up early doors and found our way in and started making our way through the first sections of the site as we waited for the others to show up. After about an hour, we met Xan, Kromax and ex0 in one of the main storage halls and set off to the lesser seen parts of the Mobil Blending plant.
The site itself is massive, much bigger than I originally realised, and the automated warehouse was a brilliant way to end this one.

Mega props to ex0, xan and kromax for putting up with another day in "fucking mobil". Much appreciated guys, solid day out.

It's pretty hard to find any info on the Mobil plant. From the records we found on site, it looks like the place closed down before the Exxon merger, probably around 1999 although this article indicates closure 2001. Despite the major assets being auctioned off in 2002 there is still tonnes left lying around.
The whole site has been bought by Peel holdings (who seem to own roughly everything in the North West) who have plans to turn the whole area into a shiny new business centre on the Wirral.
The site has suffered at the hands of arsonists and copper thieves (one of which died in 2009 after falling from the roof), and the signs of both are everywhere.

Right... now on with the images:

mobil34.jpg

mobil21.jpg
mobil22.jpg

Oil Slick….
mobil33.jpg

mobil26.jpg
mobil23.jpg

Valves! :)
mobil30.jpg

mobil2.jpg
mobil1.jpg