real time web analytics
Report - - Nara Dreamland (Japan), August 2013 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Nara Dreamland (Japan), August 2013

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

2wid

ratamahatta
28DL Full Member
Online resources were giving me different perspectives on the way site is being protected. Some talking about cameras, motion sensors and angry security, trying to rip you off for damaging the premises, while others telling a story of a pretty easy and straight forward to do site. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst as they say, i assumed that the first scenario is the case and approached Dreamland quite cautiously. Did a few rounds around it, looking for mentioned devices and personas, had a brief brake after bumping into a Japanese clacking security device at one of the side roads, that scared the crap out of me (but trucks been using it, so i assumed it was placed to protect something else). Eventually i got inside with eyes and ears peeled to anything suspicious. Chosen the roller-coaster for the first stop, as it had good view range in case something was about to happen. Unfortunately it didn't, so no copy/paste drama here. It turned out to be an easy and quite pleasant explore accompanied by the hot and extremely humid summer morning.

History: Built by the Japanese Dream Sightseeing Company in 1961 park, was an idea of Kunizo Matsuo who had previously visited Disneyland Resort in California and based the Dreamland idea on it. Japanese developer cooperated with Disneyland during the construction process, until the final stage when something went wrong between companies and Dreamland had to redefine it's style i.e. by making it's own mascots, using Disney's trademarks has been banned by the Americans. After opening, park got swarmed by the boom of visitors and it remained fairly popular until early 1980s, when similar park was opened in Tokyo (Tokyo Disneyland, 1983). Ultimate decline to the Dreamland popularity brought the opening of the Universal Studios Japan park in near by Osaka (2001). By that time most of the smaller and older theme parks around Japan has been already closed. Nara Dreamland closed permanently on August 31, 2006.

Reclaimed by nature wooden roller coaster Aska was based on Coney Island's Cyclone. It is one of Nara's biggest exploring attractions. It wins a golden medal and gets a separate section as it was a lot of fun to photograph :)

01c.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg
08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Rest of the park was definitely as interesting just not so high and curvy. Attractions including screw coaster, merry go round, western city, nearly untouched swimming pool and many others. I did not cover everything though, perhaps next time.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg
16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg