real time web analytics
New member - well, kinda? | New Members Introduction | 28DaysLater.co.uk

New member - well, kinda?

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

CON666

28DL Member
28DL Member
Hey!

It has been a while! It was after a discussion with a colleague at work that I was reminded of the hobby after rather a long time (1996-2008).
I guess I was Urbexing back in the 'Darkplaces' days before 28Days was active, and then later 28D and a few other forums, which now seem to have disappeared.
I still have some good friends from those days, as well as some funny, scary and embarrassing and cringe worthy memories! but would not trade them for the world.
Urbex partly shaped my career choice - I now work as an archaeological project supervisor (in Germany). When I have undertaken historic building surveys in hospitals/schools/factories/bunkers, it always reminded me of urbex - although having to write a historical narrative and constructional phasing of the structure afterwards is less exciting but you do get paid and have access all areas.

It would be interesting to hear from some old names: Root, Oxygen theif, Moose of Doom, Marlon, Strangely Brown and so many other names that now elude me!
Fond memories of Hellingly, Cane Hill, Severals, West Park, Z-battery, Catacombes, deep shelters and bunkers. Funnily enought I wrote on of my dissertations on WW2 Pillbox defence lines in Sussex!

Regards

CON (aka Paul, formerly from Sussex)

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Great to hear you've decided to rejoin, would be great to see some 'new old' reports of your explores if you still have the photographs. Always fascinated by the so-called 'golden era' of exploring since I began at the tail end of it in 2011, so got a glimpse into this period moslty as an observer at that time. Still thankful I got to see Severalls and a few other long gone places.

Does sound an interesting job, urbex has also informed my career choice but that sounds a cool thing to get into! Funnily enough I did my uni dissertation on the social/environment imapct of Thames Estuary defences in WW2.

wormster

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice one Con, good to see you back, AFIK Root is alive and kicking, DP is quietly trundling along in the background. I haven't seen any of the crew for moons having moved a couple of times and radically changing careers!!

mookster

grumpy sod
Regular User
Marlon is still alive and well and explores occasionally, a good friend of mine. Would be great to see some photos from those halcyon glory days if you have any kicking around.

CON666

28DL Member
28DL Member
Great to hear about Marlon, Root and DP.
Sorry for the delay, I totally forgot I posted here until just now - I do not seem to get any email prompts.
I shall dig out some old HDs and see what I can put together - I was never the photographer, so don't expect too much in the way of fancy images!

Paul