real time web analytics
Report - - NGTE Pyestock - Farnborough - Hampshire - September 2012 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - NGTE Pyestock - Farnborough - Hampshire - September 2012

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

TrevBish

www.TrevBish.co.uk
28DL Full Member
Pictures taken over 3 visits. The last visit was the best and saw all 9 of us get in and 6 get out! 3 got caught as we was taking pictures of the Sahara doors, we all hid like made for 40 minutes before getting out and carrying on.

Visited with: Webbly, Robbiekhan, AnotherMansCause, Olz9181 and 4 others who I don't know there 28DL names! Sorry

Conceived in the build up to World War Two, and realised in the post-war paranoia of the opening virtual salvos of the cold war, Pyestock was one of a number of top-secret sites which would bolster the UK’s standing during the austere 1950s; and become a vital component of the White Heat of Technology in the twitchy 1960s.

It was arguably the world's leading research facility into the research and design of gas turbines (or jet engines). "V" bomber, Harrier and Tornado engines were designed and refined in its custom test facilities; the air plant and custom cells could fly a Concorde engine at Mach 2 from the safety of the ground; all the gas turbines used by the Navy were put through harsh, enduring sea-worthiness tests; and the hush-hush top-secret captured Soviet engines were discretely tested for performance and reverse engineered.

By the turn of the new millennium, the world had changed. The theory behind the technology was well understood and tests could be simulated on computer rather than physically run in power-hungry, resource-sapping testing cells. Personnel gradually moved to new facilities and Pyestock slowly emptied and eventually stood down.

I have heard they are starting demo very very soon and by the looks of it on site they are getting ready for it! There was 5 Seccas and one was on a bike!

12.jpg

113.jpg

112.jpg

120.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

110.jpg

116.jpg

14.jpg

114.jpg