real time web analytics
Report - - Noah's Ark Road ARP, Dover - October 2016 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Noah's Ark Road ARP, Dover - October 2016

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Minor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with: @UrbanZ, @Dora Grew Up and two non-members.

History:
Noah's Ark ARP was constructed prior to WW2 as a heading for a water main. However, with the prospect of war on the way the tunnels were extended, blast walls added, and the 8" water main concreted over to create a shelter capable holding up to 850 people at a depth varying from 30 to 100ft. The shelter is approx 6' wide and had electricity, fresh water from the mains below the floor and sewer points. Access to the shelter was achieved via manhole covers at frequent intervals. A further tunnel was suggested in 1939 linking this one to Edred Rd which would have housed a further 1275 people for £8560 (£391,187 in today's money), but this was never constructed.
During the 1950's approximately 150ft of its length was lost when the embankment was cut away to make room for a new gas holder.

This link details civilian injuries obtained in Dover during the war, some of are from Noah's ARK ARP: http://www.doverwarmemorialproject.org.uk/Casualties/Civilians/civinjuries.htm

Explore:

After meeting with a fellow 28dl members employee(s) we headed straight for the site. Entry was easy enough and only took a few minutes before we were all in. I would normally say a bit about the site here, but to be honest there's not much I can say about a monotonous long passageway. There was a few images on the wall further in, but after about half way down i'd got slightly bored and started to loose interest, which is very strange for me, so unfortunately i didn't take any pictures of these, but anyway, onto the pics.

Stairs leading to main entrance.
30130344121_fe22d81cfa_c.jpg

Looking down main tunnel.
29586179383_c314c2b49e_c.jpg

30101148302_f370befab9_c.jpg

There are small offshoots every so often.
29586209553_b50d14f0ae_c.jpg

30101139862_cd272e7c46_c.jpg

30215627155_0ba8575b5a_c.jpg

Blast protection.
30101102742_1713711c1f_c.jpg

Toilet block with old containers and misc.
29586148773_620227fa29_c.jpg

30180961196_4049b6f77c_c.jpg

30101120842_b8520c0ced_c.jpg

30215622965_abbdce6984_c.jpg

30101129692_87fe7bcb3b_c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Minor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks buddy :thumb. You definitely do, Dover is an amazing place. I should be going back down there in a couple weeks. If you're able to get down give me a shout and maybe meet u for an explore, or just a few drinks.

Lord Oort

Fear is the little death
Regular User
Well North and West of Dover unfortunately but thanks for the offer, I'll give you a shout if I end up that way at some point.

Minor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
No worries mate. Always happy to meet up with fellow explorers no matter where it is, well, within reason. Nice, hopefully speak/see you soon buddy :thumb.

monk

mature
28DL Full Member
There's loads of cool old drawings in here, which is what makes it worth doing.

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Nicely done mate,sadly i scrolled to the bottom of the page and can see all the other reports from here ,one of which was mine from 6 years ago when i first got a camera..no chance of that getting deleted which is a shame its shit!

Minor

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
There's loads of cool old drawings in here, which is what makes it worth doing.
I totally agree. I lost interest so early in I didn't see them, yet the pictures Urbanz captured of the drawings made it worthwhile visit.

Nicely done mate,sadly i scrolled to the bottom of the page and can see all the other reports from here ,one of which was mine from 6 years ago when i first got a camera..no chance of that getting deleted which is a shame its shit!

Lol thanks mate, although I don't fully agree. I think your report was sound, not to mention way before I'd, if not most people, had got to the party. Plus it was first time with fisheye lense, if I remember correctly..

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
I totally agree. I lost interest so early in I didn't see them, yet the pictures Urbanz captured of the drawings made it worthwhile visit.

Lol thanks mate, although I don't fully agree. I think your report was sound, not to mention way before I'd, if not most people, had got to the party. Plus it was first time with fisheye lense, if I remember correctly..

I know it's all a learning curve with photography but looking back at the 2010 report does make me shudder,if im right the first pic in the report wasn't even form here totally shite at posting reports..but with time and a lot of luck i seem to be able to take a slightly better pic

popped back here recently for another look as it goes

29863829164_2be5d699e2_b.jpg

boomtown1

Banned
Banned
Is this now a photography site ?, it seems people worry way to much about photo quality, as long as they can be seen that's all that matters
Remember that this site is suppose to be about exploring in the first instance !!!!!

Wevsky

A Predisposed Tourist
Regular User
Is this now a photography site ?, it seems people worry way to much about photo quality, as long as they can be seen that's all that matters
Remember that this site is suppose to be about exploring in the first instance !!!!!

No its an exploration site but a lot of members take the photography side serious..no one wants to see washes out pictures taken with flash and loads of orbs all the time

TVurbex

TV Locations Aficionado
28DL Full Member

No its an exploration site but a lot of members take the photography side serious..no one wants to see washes out pictures taken with flash and loads of orbs all the time

Agree with both - all my photos are shite mobile phone ones and not always taken with the creativity I'd like (framing, angles, manual settings etc.) due to being constantly spooked at the time :D but I'm not too fussed.

On the other hand, I still appreciate some of the top quality photography posted on here as it can really bring out the best in places.