real time web analytics
Report - - North Eastern Storm Relief, London - Dec 23 | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - North Eastern Storm Relief, London - Dec 23

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Background:
I was unable to find a great deal of history online regarding this place, but to the best of my knowledge, this is one of London's longer sewers, stretching 8km from the 100ft ladder in Highbury & Islington to the floodgate at the Thames in Shadwell, and acts as an overflow for several other large sewers connecting to its main drag.
As I'm sure many of you know, this is another of Sir Bazalgette's legacies, showing off a real feat of Victorian engineering.
However, due to the all too familiar Crossrail project, a large portion of this sewer was spray-created to reinforce the structure, covering the original brickwork beneath making it somewhat unphotogenic. Fortunately, there was still enough to photograph to justify the 5 hours I'd go on to spend down there...

Into the depths:

Having taken a shine to visiting a handful of London's drains earlier in the year, I decided to squeeze in one more before New Year's rolled around.
On this escapade beneath the streets, I was joined by @TheVicar, @James Cross and @obscureserenity, all in all, the perfect crowd for the job.

We began what would quite possibly be the longest distance I've ever walked underground, starting in Highbury & Islington where we were met by the gruelling 100ft ladder that @TheVicar had warned me about...
We decided to take advantage of the early winter sunset and drop in as soon as darkness fell given the location of the lid. Much to my surprise though, and despite being unable to see the bottom amid the inevitable sewer steam, the climb down wasn't as savage as I anticipated.

image_50425601.JPG

Once in, we were met by what I would say is the most photogenic section of the drain, and so of course the multi-coloured lights had to come out to play!

highbury.jpg

IMG_1693.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

IMG_1689.jpg

After exhausting this spot of photo opportunities, it was time to press on. I'd been stressed that the walk would take a considerable amount of time, but I'd not fully comprehended just HOW long it would go on to be.
From here onwards, the tunnel became pretty featureless and slippery, so I thought it best to pack the DSLR away temporarily.

IMG_1684.jpg

image_50427137.JPG

IMG_1687.jpg

Eventually, we were met by a large chamber where we'd take a much-needed pit stop and crack open a beer.

@TheVicar in frame

IMG_1700.jpg

IMG_1702.jpg

Given I'd almost slipped over several times on the run-up to this bit, I stepped with caution on the trudge to the overflow chamber which fortunately didn't take all that long to reach.
The chamber itself was akin to the design and layout of the one in The River Grom in Kent which I visited back in 2019, indicating this must be a relatively contemporary instalment.

IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

IMG_1708.jpg

image_50438401 (1).JPG

The final leg of the journey was upon us, and we were met by the spray-created section I'd mentioned earlier. This made for a fairly uneasy walk as the floor became increasingly slippery, but alas, we kept moving forward in the direction of the floodgate at Shadwell that we wanted to see.

@James Cross in shot

image_50368769.JPG

Finally... the almighty floodgate!

IMG_1710.jpg

If one thing's for sure, it was certainly a good job the tide was out when we stood behind this beast of a gate. Although I do not doubt its ability to withstand the immense pressure of the Thames when in.
By this point, I worked out we'd been underground for coming on 5 hours, and with all of us mildly flagging from inhaling the sewer's stench, it was time to make a break for it.
We began to retrace our steps backwards a couple hundred metres before eventually finding a lid I could push from beneath. One by one, we made it up and were gladly met by the much-needed crisp night air...

Thanks once again to @TheVicar for suggesting this place to visit, and to @James Cross & @obscureserenity for putting up with my non-stop chit-chat for 5hrs! All in all, another success!

TheVicar

Loyal to the Drain
Regular User
It was an excellent afternoon of underground action, the only bit I hadn't been looking forward to was the 100 foot ladder but it wasn't quite as bad as I'd expected it to be. It's a hell of a lot harder work climbing back up of course.

I reckon we did very well to see the whole thing in five hours including taking a few snaps along the way.
This drain is one of the relatively more modern ones and was built in 1921, 30 years after Sir Bazalgette died although I'm pretty sure he'd have been impressed with it and how it interacts with several of his interceptors!

Your shots have come out well and those coloured lights add quite an atmospheric touch. :thumb
Good job for grabbing a photo of the ladder down, you can barely see half way to the bottom.

Glad you enjoyed it. It was a pleasant drain to finish the year off and it was great to meet @James Cross and @obscureserenity :)

Last edited:

obscureserenity

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
It was an excellent afternoon of underground action, the only bit I hadn't been looking forward to was the 100 foot ladder but it wasn't quite as bad as I'd expected it to be. It's a hell of a lot harder work climbing back up of course.

I reckon we did very well to see the whole thing in five hours including taking a few snaps along the way.
This drain is one of the relatively more modern ones and was built in 1921, 30 years after the Sir Bazalgette died although I'm pretty sure he'd have been impressed with it and how it interacts with several of his interceptors!

Your shots have come out well and those coloured lights add quite an atmospheric touch. :thumb
Good job for grabbing a photo of the ladder down, you can barely see half way to the bottom.

Glad you enjoyed it. It was a pleasant drain to finish the year off and it was great to meet @James Cross and @obscureserenity :)

Was great to meet you too! Looking forward to future ventures :)

Llama

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

This drain is one of the relatively more modern ones and was built in 1921, 30 years after Sir Bazalgette died although I'm pretty sure he'd have been impressed with it and how it interacts with several of his interceptors!

Ah, thanks for clarifying dude. I vaguely recall now you mentioning this was slightly newer but I wasn’t sure. Still certainly reminiscent to the 1800s style drains tho!
Was a wicked evening, look forward to getting a few more done this year that’s for sure