real time web analytics
Report - - NTL Belmont - February 2007, | High Stuff | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - NTL Belmont - February 2007,

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

T

Total Access

Access was straight forward but it always is when you have a key. Inside the tower the first thing to strike me was how wet it was, it had been raining quite a bit the past couple of days but it was now dry outside but inside the tower it was a constant drip, drip, drip and by the end of the visit I was thoroughly soaked. I have been up NTL Bilsdale in the past which is a similar tower but at least that was dry and had a lift which is always nice.

There are rest platforms every 10metres however the first opportunity to exit the tower was at 32metres where there is a heavy steel door, a kin to something you might find on a submarine, which then leads out onto the lowest platform.

The next platform is at 75metres and this is where I was getting off although my climb hadn't quite finished yet. At this height you begin to feel the movement of the tower and it's a very odd sensation. I'm used to towers swaying and wobbling either by the wind or just by the action of climbing on it but guyed towers have their own peculiar feeling. They feel as if they are twisting rather then swaying which has probably got something to do with the guys tensioning and relaxing but even so it's quite weird as obviously a rigid structure shouldn't twist.

Things now get interesting as to get to my work position I have to scale another 10 or so metres up a ladder fixed to the outside of the tower. At this height the wind is pretty strong and it buffeted me all the way up the ladder.

I finally finished my climb at 85metres where I was able to get on with the job at hand which also involved some interesting and occasionally worrying manauvers around the headframe where the equipment was located.

Upon completing the job and getting back down to the 75metre platform it was time for a few photos and then back down the ladder. My permit to work didn't allow me to go any higher and in all fairness I was cold, wet and about 200 miles from home on a Friday afternoon so I had little inclination to go any higher.

A climb like this is both physically and mentally exhausting and with the constant drip of water, not entirely pleasant. I am amazed that there are people who would do this for fun. :D

Anyway here are a few pictures.

img019-1.jpg

img018-1.jpg

img017-2.jpg

Visible here is the external platform at 32metres.

img016-2.jpg

This is the second platform at 75 metres with the external ladder leading to the headframes.

img015-2.jpg

img001-2.jpg

This is inside the base of the tower.

img002-2.jpg

Looking up from inside.

img012-2.jpg

img013-2.jpg

The door to the external platforms.

img008-2.jpg

It was easy to open but a buggar to shut.

img006-1.jpg

The 75metre platform.

img007-2.jpg

Nice view....

img004-2.jpg

Unless you're scared of heights. :eek:

img005-1.jpg

The last 10metres.

img020-1.jpg

Being preoccupied with hanging on and trying not to drop anything, I didn't take any shots from my work position. Fortunately this was taken by a colleague on a visit a couple of years ago. :crazy

img014-2.jpg

The view up from 75metres.

img003-2.jpg

The view down from 75metres.

img011-1.jpg

Looking up the feeder run.

img010-1.jpg

Looking down the feeder run.

I have also shot some video of this which can be accessed at:

Photobucket | The safer way to store your photos

Not sure how well this will work as I've not tried photobuckets video sharing so if there are any problems let me know and I'll put it on YouTube or something.

Climbing telecom towers is hazardous and should not be attempted by anyone without full training in working at height and RF awareness. I am posting this report because I know people are interested in this subject however I in no way condone or encourage illegally breaking into a site and climbing any structures therein.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lescam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Can see this from the "mile road" in Flixton when it's lit up at night. The closest I got to it was a couple of months ago when the satnav sent me over Belmont (with a caravan on the back ffs) when the M61 was snarled up. Great pictures